Copyright Alert System Shuts Down

logo.png

Y'know those nasty DMCA warnings your ISP would occasionally send you? Or maybe the "Six Strike" program that many ISPs in the US has adopted back in 2013? This was, in part, thanks to the "Copyright Alert System", a system created by the Center for Copyright Information that would essentially monitor P2P traffic for illegal content such as movies, warez, music, etc. and then alert your ISP to send out DMCA warnings to their subscribers, giving them "Six strikes" before some sort of action would be taken against their account. This could be anything from bandwidth limitations, internet speed throttling, or even preventing access to the web unless they contact the ISP. Sounds spooky, right?

Today, the Center for Copyright Information has announced that this CAS system is being shut down.

Center For Copyright Information said:
After four years of extensive consumer education and engagement, the Copyright Alert System will conclude its work. The program demonstrated that real progress is possible when content creators, internet innovators and consumer advocates come together in a collaborative and consensus-driven process. CAS succeeded in educating many people about the availability of legal content, as well as about issues associated with online infringement

So what does this mean, exactly? ISPs who were using the CAS "Six Strike" policy are no longer required to send out these DMCA warnings to their internet subscribers.

While some might see this as a "victory", pirates should still be on the look out. CAS isn't the only system used to track your pirating tendencies, there are always other companies out there that do the same and some can be even more strict. CAS might be gone, but you can be sure the MPAA/RIAA will be looking into more effective methods of dishing out DMCA warnings.

:arrow: CCI Statement Source

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never got DMCA notice letters because Windstream doesn't bother to enforce the copyright laws, also I encrypted on our internet connection, along with VPN.

MPAA, RIAA and ESA can go fuck themselves, but I usually buy games and movies with my money.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Peerblock works by using a whitelist of known IP's from those who are trying to watch your torrent downloads. SO IF THEY USE A NEW IP AND THE LIST HASN'T BEEN UPDATED YET...WELL, YOU GET IN TROUBLE. THE ONLY SURE WAY NOT TO GET CAUGHT IS TO USE A VPN. PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS IS BY FAR THE BEST ONE OUT THERE. $40 A YEAR. THEY ALSO DO NOT KEEP ANY LOGS. SO SAY THEY GET A REQUEST FROM AN ATTORNEY TO SHOW THEIR LOGS OF WHO DOWNLOADED WHAT, THEY ARE OUT OF LUCK. STUPID CAPS KEY. sorry. i don't fill like retyping all that.

angelus kun

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
well,yes,this is good for most of us in the temp,this is bad for content creators.

huh.As far as i know,the consequences only hit the creators. The ninja atacks wouldnt hit freeshop users,but theyyd hit Cruel.

Hope they dont hit anyone at all!

Perro...

Si pudieron quemar 43 estudiantes y escaparse,te puedes escapar de las leyes anti pirateria sin problemas...

Bro...

If they could burn alive 43 students and get away with it,you can get away from piracy laws without a problem...
Damn your'e right :'( in México a lot of people are free but another is censored :'(

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was kinda a useless system anyways. I been getting a lot of stuff off direct connect hubs. them Russians share a shitload of data. one dude was sharing 304 Terrabytes!!!. It was a legit share to. a lot of 23gb blu ray rips and other hd content. I stopped torrenting movies and music ages ago. you can just rip music off youtube if needed. Cant stop you from that< even if youtube stopped the download apps they cant stop me from recording with a tape if i wanted. Sometimes there are open directories that have stuff but they might be honey pots. I can get them at star bucks since they got Google fiber now... I was getting 35mb/s which is good for public wifi. Really if you want something just go get it with public wi-fi. most of them don't even block torrents.

D

Deleted User

Wait your activity on the net was tracked and actually watched in the last few years? I aint jelous for u american ppl...

Btw cant you just download a torrent file from a public wifi then use it in ur home and no one would know about it?

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Trim)
Piracy, much like drugs, has to be beaten using smarter methods. Through education.
Jesus fuckin christ Callum Crayshaw is that you? Next you'll suggest we give pirates dunce caps and time out.

I can learn all I want about how piracy is bad but i'll still do it. I don't care if it's socially unacceptable. Shit like /b/ exists. Shame never stopped the internet.

Peerblock works by using a whitelist of known IP's from those who are trying to watch your torrent downloads. SO IF THEY USE A NEW IP AND ...derp-de-derp ta tiddly-tum-ta-too derp-e-dum... STUPID CAPS KEY. sorry. i don't fill like retyping all that.
...so why didn't you just stop typing when you saw your letters as CAPs in the first place...? Why should anyone care to read your comment when you clearly didn't care enough to turn the CAPs off or spellcheck?

z67j9li.jpg�

Last edited by Pluupy,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Well, for the US that is good news, yet for the UK, it still sucks for us. Latest bullshit news here, is Kodi users are getting hit with warning letters, if the ISP detects the pirated streams/links. This is all down to the goverments snooper crap or whatever the fuck it's called.

I know some already got hit with warnings last week and a VPN is probably the only way to deter it. Just wish there was a easy way to configure one on a PI 3 running retropie, as I currently gave up trying to get one to work.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Peerblock works by using a whitelist of known IP's from those who are trying to watch your torrent downloads. SO IF THEY USE A NEW IP AND THE LIST HASN'T BEEN UPDATED YET...WELL, YOU GET IN TROUBLE. THE ONLY SURE WAY NOT TO GET CAUGHT IS TO USE A VPN. PRIVATE INTERNET ACCESS IS BY FAR THE BEST ONE OUT THERE. $40 A YEAR. THEY ALSO DO NOT KEEP ANY LOGS. SO SAY THEY GET A REQUEST FROM AN ATTORNEY TO SHOW THEIR LOGS OF WHO DOWNLOADED WHAT, THEY ARE OUT OF LUCK. STUPID CAPS KEY. sorry. i don't fill like retyping all that.
Key words being "known IPs". They can't block what they don't know about and due to the way P2P technology works it's not like you can detect someone recording your IP.

Reactions: matpower and 6adget

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...so why didn't you just stop typing when you saw your letters as CAPs in the first place...? Why should anyone care to read your comment when you clearly didn't care enough to turn the CAPs off or spellcheck?

z67j9li.jpg�
because I didn't notice 'till I was at the end of what I was typing. I am sooo sorry to have offended you. The things that people complain about is just ridiculous. I'm sure it made your epenis so hard talking shit like that.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
I am pirating like crazy.
It really isn't fair that I can buy a bunch of second-hand xbox360 and PS3 titles for about 5 bucks a pop. That's a steal. May the masses continue to abandon their older games in droves. Plus I'm using the terrorist's money: untraceable cash. Lock me up, State Surveillance outfits.

LOL. People here are under 24/7 state surveillance and they don't know it yet? 99.99% of the apps, games and OSs you use are all infiltrated with the filth. So don't go online, or get some clue as to how to protect your ID.
https://arstechnica.com/security/20...illions-of-encrypted-web-and-vpn-connections/
https://qz.com/91909/nsa-fbi-secret-surveillance-google-facebook-microsoft-yahoo-aol-and-skype/

All the biggest 'trusted' companies are involved.
Tin-foil hatters had it right. So right.

Last edited by foob,

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What saddens me in all of this, is the failure to realize that piracy is not something that will be stopped by using authoritative or aggressive means.

Of course, piracy is bad for content creators. It keeps profits from the developers and promotes a false sense of "freemium" and anti-consumerism to the users, who should have paid for the digital product in the first place.

However piracy is something to be fought on an intellectual and cultural level. Only by teaching and advocating this, in some sense create a cultural nonacceptance for this, will we reduce piracy to acceptable levels.

The same thing happens with so many things in our daily lives. You could walk around wearing nothing but underwear if you wished, but 99,9% of the people don't. That isn't due to fear of the law, authority or aggressiveness. Most people wear clothes outside because they would be mocked and avoided by others if they decided not to do so. In other words, society doesn't allow it without heavy consequences.

The internet, by it's very nature, is a tool that entices freedoom, debate and information sharing. Logically, you could say that those who do not use their money to purchase digital goods, should still have an alternative. (I've spoken to a great deal of people who believe buying anything "online" is a waste of money). But at the same time, if no one spent money buying digital products, no one would produce them in the first place. You can't develop Photoshop or Battlefield 5 hoping on other people's "good will" or a donate button. Most would just pirate it and call you retarded.

This is the problem with intellectual property and digital goods. While piracy is a bad thing for everyone in the end, you could argue for both sides. Those who can afford to purchase but don't, and those that can't afford and pirate.

The only way we will ever "win" the war on piracy, is when piracy becomes a social taboo. When piracy is as shameful as walking around in your shorts, then and only then, will piracy levels drop to acceptable levels. As of right now, piracy is just another part of daily life for most people. After all, you'll still chase someone who stole an apple from your store, but torrent whole MP3 albums. Everyone does it.

Piracy, much like drugs, has to be beaten using smarter methods. Through education.
I know this sounds strange and kinda narcissistic, but i generally regret pirating games. Most of the games i pirate and enjoy, i go out and buy. I think the only game i can remember that i pirated and didn't go buy recently was No Man's Sky, and i'm kinda considering it.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Jesus fuckin christ Callum Crayshaw is that you? Next you'll suggest we give pirates dunce caps and time out.

I can learn all I want about how piracy is bad but i'll still do it. I don't care if it's socially unacceptable. Shit like /b/ exists. Shame never stopped the internet.

Maybe it doesn't stop you. Obviously, there will always be ones who will do anything and everything regardless of how we try to stop it. That is what I meant by reducing piracy to acceptable levels. Piracy will never fully be gone.

However considering most people don't post embarrassing content on their Facebook, I beg to differ. Social weight has a tremendous effect. With the right approach, a similar result can be had on piracy.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i
i don't know why people are celebrating.

with the fact that we have an FCC chairman who will pulverize net neutrality, I can say that Winter is Coming.

And the reason why this 6 strike warning system is going away is because something else is replacing it. Something much. much worse.
doubt it the same people who own and run hollywood the riaa and mpaa also own and run all the ISP's
and there is more than one ISP now in most markets, (well there is in mine anyways can't imagine there are too many others without a second or third option for broadband )

most of these companies try to bundle their services and now that the cord cutter movements is really taking off people are canceling in record numbers because of cord cutting and because the service itself sucks ass and even more importantly if not most importantly the content itself sucks ass ,and they are trying to rape everyone who is still stupid enough to pay for their TV content services

people are fed up and pissed off and going over to kodi boxes like never before , and they can't really do shit about streaming

so the last thing they are going to want to do is to further piss off the only customers they have left, the ones who subscribe to broadband services or to piss of full package customers

sending out notices like this is a good way for them to lose whatever business they have left,
after i cut the cord they called me relentlessly begging for me to come back
i imagine most people who receive these letters tell the ISP to fuck off and switch to another provider immediately
i know i would

seriously the shit they put out these days is so fucking bad they should be mailing me a check to watch it , it is all just new ghostbusters tier shit, these days

you have to be crazy to pay for the garbage they are producing these days
you couldn't even pay me to watch it, well maybe but it would have to be like $20-25 and hour

Last edited by weatMod,

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i

doubt it the same people who own and run hollywood the riaa and mpaa also own and run all the ISP's
and there is more than one ISP now in most markets, (well there is in mine anyways can't imagine there are too many others without a second or third option for broadband )

most of these companies try to bundle their services and now that the cord cutter movements is really taking off people are canceling in record numbers because of cord cutting and because the service itself sucks ass and even more importantly if not most importantly the content itself sucks ass ,and they are trying to rape everyone who is still stupid enough to pay for their TV content services

people are fed up and pissed off and going over to kodi boxes like never before , and they can't really do shit about streaming

so the last thing they are going to want to do is to further piss off the only customers they have left, the ones who subscribe to broadband services or to piss of full package customers

sending out notices like this is a good way for them to lose whatever business they have left,
after i cut the cord they called me relentlessly begging for me to come back
i imagine most people who receive these letters tell the ISP to fuck off and switch to another provider immediately
i know i would

seriously the shit they put out these days is so fucking bad they should be mailing me a check to watch it , it is all just new ghostbusters tier shit, these days

you have to be crazy to pay for the garbage they are producing these days
you couldn't even pay me to watch it, well maybe but it would have to be like $20-25 and hour

Although I do see your point, you also need to understand that if no one would buy the "garbage" they make, then nothing would get produced in the first place. Not the bad products and not the good products either.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed in a different way, that I will agree with you on. Sending out warnings to clients and actively punishing them for pirating will have the opposite effect. An aggressive approach to Piracy is not the way to go, we've seen that before with the infamous SOPA bill introduced a few years ago and the backlash and consequences that it had. Did it solve anything? No. Quite the contrary. Piracy remains, stronger than ever.

Piracy is an issue that needs to be taken care of using alternative methods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey