ROM Hack Copy 4GB CIA files to SD? How?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,230
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm unable to copy Ultra Sun and Hyrule Warriors because they're both 4GB and FAT32 doesn't allow it. So, is there any way to get around the limit?

These are the only two games left I'd want to install on my 3DS and can't due to FAT32's limitation.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unable to copy Ultra Sun and Hyrule Warriors because they're both 4GB and FAT32 doesn't allow it. So, is there any way to get around the limit?

These are the only two games left I'd want to install on my 3DS and can't due to FAT32's limitation.

You sure they cia ultra sun is 3.6gb and hyrulenwarriors is 2gb

Seems like someone converted them from .3ds to cia and didnt trim the excess data

Last edited by izy,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy all the data from your SD card to your computer, then reformat the card as exFAT. Copy all the data back on, and the 3ds should read it no problem. You should now be able to copy larger files onto the card.
The 3DS does not read exFAT-formatted SD cards.

The better solutions are FBI network install or custom-install.

D

Deleted User

OP
You sure they cia ultra sun is 3.6gb and hyrulenwarriors is 2gb

Seems like someone converted them from .3ds to cia and didnt trim the excess data

Found some trimmed versions, thankfully, so I'll go with those. Installing through a network seems it would take far too long and it's not that important.

The 3DS does not read exFAT-formatted SD cards.

The better solutions are FBI network install or custom-install.

It really doesn't. My Samsung 128GB was exFAT and it wasn't recognized, but then I reformatted to FAT32 and then it worked. It has that 4GB annoying, but it's just a few files affected.

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this same problem (donkey kong country 3) and couldn't find the answer ANYWHERE. Then I eventually stumbled upon it but don't remember where.

Download 3dsconv.exe from here:
https://github.com/ihaveamac/3dsconv/releases

Now get a copy of boot9.bin (can't link to it here) Md5 is D8675E80E5DD3A9AFAAF885D79B14E9C

Put the two files in the same folder. Now take your 3ds file then drag n drop it into the 3dsconv.exe and it'll make your cia file that's well under 4gb. All done!

(Before somebody gets on my ass: I'm aware this does not fix his problem of the cia file being over 4gb, the idea is to grab a fresh 3ds rom and do it himself)

Last edited by rsx,
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo