Homebrew Cool NDS e-book reader!

Leachi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeeah.. I think u get the picture
Being able the read e-books holding your ds in your hands like a book.. Like the way you play Brain age

Anyone knows if there are any software out here who could make it work that way?
That would be cool, don't you think?
tongue.gif

yeaj.. give me your opinions!
smile.gif

TheStick

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you for the topic title that made me think the great e-book reader homebrew I dream about every night just came out :'(

Thank you
cry.gif

Leachi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been dreaming about that too.. But never seen anyone posting anything about it..

Is there a such E-book NDS reader homebrew in development?
ohmy.gif

xflash

Local Ninja
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
hmm what would be nice if if you held it like a book (like when you play brain age) and in order to switch page youd close the ds and open it again wouldn't that be cool?

Leachi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Xflash : Yeah that would be something special
wink.gif
But i think that would be a little bit tiresome in the end maby.. interesting idea though..
Maby it could work by simply touching lowest right corner on the touch-screen and then page turns.. with a nice browsing sound comming out of the speakers
smile.gif

hmm.. Btw, Could someone with some photoshop skills make an example of how this idea would look like?
cool.gif
Holding your ds like a book reading Lord of the rings or Hitchikers guide to the galaxy or something like that, on it
wink.gif

Aaand yeah, has anyone tried that Dsbook funkyskunk is talking about?

agami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I haven't tried ds book there are various options for reading text and other files on the ds, some where described in this topic -

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35318

Though the topic is mainly dealing with manga, the same programs can be used to read text files (across both screens).

Hope that helps some people
biggrin.gif

ooheadsoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find moonshell's text plugin to be the best, so far. It has good bookmark support (although it did get mysteriously erased today, not sure how) and it displays with a black background, which I assume saves battery. You can also store as many books as you like, unlike DSBook, which I haven't tried because of that fact.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sure the black screen save battery life. But it only saves maybe 20 seconds of battery life. It's an LCD, made not to use much power. What's really sucking up your battery life is your backlight.

ooheadsoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've tried all of the existing ones out there and moonshell still has the most functional one. Page down scrolling, touchscreen support for scrolling, working persistent bookmarks, good font size. There's no reason to use both screens if you can only scroll one line at a time. If only it could work like brain age...

tolax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest G6 update 4.4 features an update to their MediaPlayExtend that does allow you to read the text left-right in a 'book like manner'.

Works pretty well
smile.gif

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The person who made DSFTP is working on a program just like that. Let me go look up the links and stuff and post back.

EDIT: http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=59...er=asc&start=30

Its basically a good book reader, no PDF support (although that would kick MAJOR ..... you know) and has a lot of confusing talk about variable width fonts that I don't understand
nyanya.gif
. Anybody interested in long discussions about subpixel fonts can go check it out. Also, he will hopefully be releasing it sometime soon, it was supposed to have reached a beta version by last week.

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
cant moonshell show an image over both screens? or is that 2 images? either way you could make a manga or book into the right resolution and use it (but a program would be nice, doesnt the newest m3 software allow this kind of text reading?)

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got done trying the mediaplay extend function for the new G6 4.4 loader and it works exactly like the OP described. output on both screens, with several display options:

1. display text from top of top screen to bottom of touchscreen
2. display text from right of top screen to left of top screen to right of touchscreen to left of touchscreen
3. 8/12/16 pixel font
4. several built in fonts to change among.

Never really expected this to be available yet, but it is. the extend interface looks exactly like M3s extend too, so maybe M3s extend is updated too. Really works like a charm, I was gonna try and program my own thing to do exactly what it does, but now I dont have to!

ooheadsoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take it that mediaplay extend only works with G6/M3? Disappointing for those of us with different carts.

Anyone know what's going on with bjoerngiesler's program? He hasn't posted in that gbadev thread for a couple weeks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi