Tony8690

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been answered before.

is there any possible way to convert a .CIA file back to a .3ds file so I can play it on my Sky3ds?

T

siFippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Since i don't own a Sky3ds I haven't tried it myself but wouldn't it be possible to run eshop only games through sky if you use those tools? Would you need to somehow generate your own template file?

Reactions: 4ur0r

Celebrimbor360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's probably easier to just download 3ds files than converting, if no 3ds files ever is released, chances are it's not in sky's template.

Tony8690

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to convert a EUR version of Pokémon OR CIA as I have the US version.3ds. just don't feel like using the region free trick all the time and theres going to be sometimes where I cant use it (such as being on planes)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
is there any possible way to convert a .CIA file back to a .3ds file so I can play it on my Sky3ds?

it is not 'convert back' to 3ds.
eshop games can be packed into a .cia
and retail cart games can be dumped as a file and named as .3ds

with a bit of hacking we can convert one to the other.
if you took something that was a cia, whether it was actually form eshop content, or whether it was converted from a .3ds file, it would not work on sky3ds because sky3ds needs the 3ds rom in it's original state, untouched form the retail game cart.

Reactions: siFippo

Tony8690

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it is not 'convert back' to 3ds.
eshop games can be packed into a .cia
and retail cart games can be dumped as a file and named as .3ds

with a bit of hacking we can convert one to the other.
if you took something that was a cia, whether it was actually form eshop content, or whether it was converted from a .3ds file, it would not work on sky3ds because sky3ds needs the 3ds rom in it's original state, untouched form the retail game cart.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation =]

T

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there a guide to convert .cia to .3ds? Like BigBlueBox did when they released eshop dumps to .3ds format to play from gateway.
I the link above is for 3ds to cia, not the contrary.

3DS Lazy seems to not be able to rebuild .3ds format (unless the first post is not updated)

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a guide to convert .cia to .3ds? Like BigBlueBox did when they released eshop dumps to .3ds format to play from gateway.

3DS Lazy seems to not be able to rebuild .3ds format (unless the first post is not updated)

Google Noob Friendly 3DS To CIA Converter and open the first link, the software contains a cia to 3ds converter, it doesn't come with a guide afaik but it should be self explanatory.

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France

It fails with Ace Atorney Dual Destinies, the only game I tested, but the same applies with other tools.
I claimed this function is broken but since the command line 3DS Lazy uses seems Ok, you should try.
I never tried other games and thinking about it AA is an eshop game, so this may be the reason.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see, thanks.
I don't convert games or play them, I'm just curious about knowledge in general to be able to help users better

Edit:
you should edit your first post to 3DS Lazy, currently it looks like it can't repack correctly at all.

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
3ds
I see, thanks.
I don't convert games or play them, I'm just curious about knowledge in general to be able to help users better

Edit:
you should edit your first post to 3DS Lazy, currently it looks like it can't repack correctly at all.

3ds repack you mean? Because cia repack works fine for many users.:yaysp:

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reverse-CIA.bat
Code:
@ Echo off

set GameName=%~n1
md "%GameName%"

tools\_makerom -ciatocci %1
tools\ctrtool -p --exheader="exheader.bin" --romfs="romfs.bin" --exefs="exefs.bin" --logo="logo.bin" "%GameName%.cci"
tools\ctrtool -t exefs --exefsdir="%GameName%" "exefs.bin" --decompresscode
tools\ctrtool -t exheader "exheader.bin" > "exheader.txt"
tools\ctrtool -i "%GameName%.cci" >info.txt

move %1 "%GameName%"
move *.bin "%GameName%"
move *.cci "%GameName%"
move *.txt "%GameName%"

Now you have all files except your needed .rsf to rebuild unencrypted .3ds without manual.

Take a sample rsf, look @ info.txt/exheader.txt and fill the sample with all you need.

>>> makerom -f cci -target g -minor 9 -rsf "<your-rsf>" -desc app:7 -romfs "romfs.bin" -exheader "exheader.bin" -logo "logo.bin" -exefslogo -code "code.bin" -icon "icon.bin" -banner "banner.bin" -alignwr -o <your-rebuilded-3ds>

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Reverse-CIA.bat
Code:
@ Echo off

set GameName=%~n1
md "%GameName%"

tools\_makerom -ciatocci %1
tools\ctrtool -p --exheader="exheader.bin" --romfs="romfs.bin" --exefs="exefs.bin" --logo="logo.bin" "%GameName%.cci"
tools\ctrtool -t exefs --exefsdir="%GameName%" "exefs.bin" --decompresscode
tools\ctrtool -t exheader "exheader.bin" > "exheader.txt"
tools\ctrtool -i "%GameName%.cci" >info.txt

move %1 "%GameName%"
move *.bin "%GameName%"
move *.cci "%GameName%"
move *.txt "%GameName%"

Now you have all files except your needed .rsf to rebuild unencrypted .3ds without manual.

Take a sample rsf, look @ info.txt/exheader.txt and fill the sample with all you need.

>>> makerom -f cci -target g -minor 9 -rsf "<your-rsf>" -desc app:7 -romfs "romfs.bin" -exheader "exheader.bin" -logo "logo.bin" -exefslogo -code "code.bin" -icon "icon.bin" -banner "banner.bin" -alignwr -o <your-rebuilded-3ds>
Hi, sorry to bump the thread

so how do I decrypt cia files?
because when I tried to convert cia to cci, makerom returns this error

_makerom -ciatocci game.cia
[CCI ERROR] Failed to decrypt CIA content: 0x00000000
[RESULT] Failed to build CCI

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, sorry to bump the thread

so how do I decrypt cia files?
because when I tried to convert cia to cci, makerom returns this error

_makerom -ciatocci game.cia
[CCI ERROR] Failed to decrypt CIA content: 0x00000000
[RESULT] Failed to build CCI

The -ciatocci option only works when the .cia is already decrypted, and that script won't do it for you.
To convert an eShop CIA to 3DS, you have to install it on a new SD card, use any SD decryptor on it (rxTools works fine), decrypt the .app files with padxorer, find out with ctrtool which of the files is the main application, which the manual and so forth (If it's got DLP, that too), then "makerom -f cia -o game.cia -content main.app:0:0 -content manual.app:1:1 -content dlp.app:2:2", then you can -ciatocci it, and voila. You can further decrypt that main.app if you want to edit it (regionfree, firmware spoof), just treat it like a .3ds file.

Reactions: Garou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0