controller extension with usb cables

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Dan-the-Rebirth, May 20, 2014.

1. Dan-the-Rebirth
    OP

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    hey iam thinking about moding my old nes/snes/n64 and ngc controllers.
    i want to buy a set of microusb plugs, cut the controler cables in two parts and soldering the plugs to each half and use a standart micro usm extension cable to place it inbetween.

that way i only would need 4cables and not 12.
    but would that work? what do i need to consider??

2. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    UAB only has 4 wires, whereas most game console controllers use 5 or 6. Just splicing the wires wont work in most cases.

3. Dan-the-Rebirth
    OP

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    realy ok but i guess there are other plugs i can use..

but how is it posible that all pc adapters use usb?

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yeah you might be able to use ethernet cable as a crude extension. I would say just try to find extensions but they are the best places to find male and female plugs and sockets for them so people like myself tend to buy and destroy every set we can find.

As for why adapters use usb... well some do use serial or gameport but that is besides the point. The reason is because that is how electronics works -- though many controllers are analogue their outputs are usually read at a given point and send down the cables. Such output is then easily encoded into a USB data packet and interpreted by the computer. I am not really sure how to go from there as it is basic electronics and I would have to cover that which is going to make for a long post. Building your extensions though is just a matter of making sure the same wires get connected back to each other, you might run into issues if you extend it more than about 5 metres or if the originals have thick wires and you do not (shouldn't happen but there are exceptions) but it is mainly a matter of making sure the wires are connected again.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    note that controller adapters do have a chip (electronic components) wich translates the controler input to usb instructions.

6. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    USB adaptors emulate the hardware needed to use the controllers. Theres a chip inside that pretends to be enough of the console to read the controller data correctly, then it is sent to the pc as a serial stream in the same format as a usb controller.
    I've had a little experiance making these myself and I can say without a doubt that it is quicker and cheaper to buy a converter from ebay, amazon or some other online store/auction.