Console and Media left in the Heat for too long? (Merchand on the go)

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.areyougoingtostalkme.wtf
XP
Country
Japan
Hey Guys:switch:

Its about a Slim PS3 i have my eyes on. It is a good Price (70 Dollars with Original Controller and i can argue a better Price with him) (pretty cool)

It looks like new and is clean,but thats not difficult with a slim i think... But the Merchant seems like someone who travels the Country with his stuff and has his stuff layed out all the Time.

I was there 3 Times and all his Wares are just sitting in the blazing Sun (UMD,DVD,Blue Ray,Consoles...)

Is this maybe bad and can you tell from the outside if someting may be wrong?
I do not want to have negative feelings toward this

Cheers:]

tmnr1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ask the guy if he can show you a video of the console working, I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem, I've bought a few consoles and controllers from flea markets, many of which were also left under the sun for weeks and so far I've had no problems.

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Japan
Ask the guy if he can show you a video of the console working, I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem, I've bought a few consoles and controllers from flea markets, many of which were also left under the sun for weeks and so far I've had no problems.
Hi:]

I wonder about that because of Batterys and because any Type of Electronics should never be exposed like that:/ I was most concerned about this Heat Paste stuff on the Chips
Do you know anything about the Media? Like if you can tell from outside if something may be wrong(except for scratches obviosly)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thermal paste is not going to be bothered by sitting in the sun -- you are going to be nowhere near what its maximum operating temperatures are when it is powered. Similarly is it any different to being shoved in a hot attic, basement, garage or something, likely also the cold during winter.
Any issues with thermal paste are likely to just be general age. Said age, especially if not charged, is also likely to have taken a toll on batteries. I don't think the PS3 has any internal batteries inclined to leak like so many old PCs, original xbox, amiga and what have you. All that is likely to happen is the UV light messes with the outside shell and that is pretty much cosmetic*.

*granted if you are in Japan that can be more of a thing there -- no joke most of what Japan considers third rate gets sold off outside Japan where it is considered top grade.

If plain discs are left in the sun it could cause some trouble. It might be visible on the disc itself (bleaching, crazing, fogging) but also might be harder to spot. That said I have some 360 games from similar circumstances where the labels in the case are faded and thin film around them also cracked, though said labels also probably function as a more than suitable UV block.

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Japan
Thermal paste is not going to be bothered by sitting in the sun -- you are going to be nowhere near what its maximum operating temperatures are when it is powered. Similarly is it any different to being shoved in a hot attic, basement, garage or something, likely also the cold during winter.
Any issues with thermal paste are likely to just be general age. Said age, especially if not charged, is also likely to have taken a toll on batteries. I don't think the PS3 has any internal batteries inclined to leak like so many old PCs, original xbox, amiga and what have you. All that is likely to happen is the UV light messes with the outside shell and that is pretty much cosmetic*.

*granted if you are in Japan that can be more of a thing there -- no joke most of what Japan considers third rate gets sold off outside Japan where it is considered top grade.

If plain discs are left in the sun it could cause some trouble. It might be visible on the disc itself (bleaching, crazing, fogging) but also might be harder to spot. That said I have some 360 games from similar circumstances where the labels in the case are faded and thin film around them also cracked, though said labels also probably function as a more than suitable UV block.
Superb so I only have to take a look and i should be obvios right away,thats great to know:]

Are you sure about the heat thing? Always felt like Consoles in the Sun feel WAY hotter than when they are just turned on(The Sun burns brutal right now)

I am in Germany atm and plan to leave the Console here also,so i wont run into problems importing a PS3 in "this kind of shape" :D
Post automatically merged:

Oh and about the 'plain disks' he has some PSP UMD's sitting in a Plastik box without the case. So i better avoid that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The hottest the sun gets is what 35 C. Silicon cuts out at around 100C (bit more, bit less depending upon the setup) but usually aims to keep things around 60C at most during operation, similarly there is a reason even cheap capacitors are rated to 80C with better being more like 105C. To that end I am not concerned about the internals as far as heat. Age and many hot-cold cycles, possibly humidity which is a concern with any second hand device (and I still buy them readily) then being the main troubles there, in addition to the usual owned by a feral 13 year old or chain smoker (ask me about my last 360) aspects.

UV damage is not really a thing many have pondered for pressed optical media. Burned CD sitting on the windowsill will probably be killed (had a few of those, but they are a radically different technology to pressed stuff), and we have seen various cartridges see hours of sunlight as people go from flea market/yard sale/car boot sale/jumble sale... to said same. Most people with loose CDs and such tend to stick them in a case if they know what they are doing, and those that don't then just chuck them in a box which tends to see them scratched, foil damaged, cracked or delaminate (not to mention those that don't know don't tend to go from place to place keeping the same stock for months on end).
PSPs are like the ancient first CD drives and come with cases which probably offer some protection in this. I don't know what the clear covers are made of, much less its UV pass characteristics and what damage it might do to the foil layer (which is likely a cosmetic painted layer it first meets) if I was even to try speculating properly though.

As that last thing was a bit dry skip to 40 seconds if you want

and why pass characteristics matter, 1:30 if you want to skip to somewhere

Reactions: Rocky_D

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Japan
The hottest the sun gets is what 35 C. Silicon cuts out at around 100C (bit more, bit less depending upon the setup) but usually aims to keep things around 60C at most during operation, similarly there is a reason even cheap capacitors are rated to 80C with better being more like 105C. To that end I am not concerned about the internals as far as heat. Age and many hot-cold cycles, possibly humidity which is a concern with any second hand device (and I still buy them readily) then being the main troubles there, in addition to the usual owned by a feral 13 year old or chain smoker (ask me about my last 360) aspects.

UV damage is not really a thing many have pondered for pressed optical media. Burned CD sitting on the windowsill will probably be killed (had a few of those, but they are a radically different technology to pressed stuff), and we have seen various cartridges see hours of sunlight as people go from flea market/yard sale/car boot sale/jumble sale... to said same. Most people with loose CDs and such tend to stick them in a case if they know what they are doing, and those that don't then just chuck them in a box which tends to see them scratched, foil damaged, cracked or delaminate (not to mention those that don't know don't tend to go from place to place keeping the same stock for months on end).
PSPs are like the ancient first CD drives and come with cases which probably offer some protection in this. I don't know what the clear covers are made of, much less its UV pass characteristics and what damage it might do to the foil layer (which is likely a cosmetic painted layer it first meets) if I was even to try speculating properly though.

As that last thing was a bit dry skip to 40 seconds if you want

and why pass characteristics matter, 1:30 if you want to skip to somewhere

Cool those are some good sources^_^

I don't think we can talk about the 360 thing here since gbatemp is PG i think (it would atleast be against guidelines);)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are no rules against discussing such things, and actually it was far from the worst smoker killed electronics I have ever seen -- was given a mini hifi thing to save once and still have nightmares about that one (the 360 and importantly its power supply was mostly just full of yellow tinged dust and a less than pleasant smell, this hifi was a slime I only know to be horrible dark yellow from where it thinned out on the edges and the smell still haunts me to this day and have large dogs that eat raw meat on occasion, many younger siblings, live on a farm, have done stuff in nursing homes to the point I can identify a bed sore by smell and would probably count as an expert in solvents).

Rocky_D

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Japan
GTod
There are no rules against discussing such things, and actually it was far from the worst smoker killed electronics I have ever seen -- was given a mini hifi thing to save once and still have nightmares about that one (the 360 and importantly its power supply was mostly just full of yellow tinged dust and a less than pleasant smell, this hifi was a slime I only know to be horrible dark yellow from where it thinned out on the edges and the smell still haunts me to this day and have large dogs that eat raw meat on occasion, many younger siblings, live on a farm, have done stuff in nursing homes to the point I can identify a bed sore by smell and would probably count as an expert in solvents).

Good Lord man...I recently wrote with someone over here who recalled a FAT PS2 that was probably just like that...I'd like to spook her with this but I have no Idea how to mark her in here:D

Oh and since you were so kind to outline this marvelous Experince...Thank you kindly...

NOW CAN SOME ADMIN COME OVER HERE AND CLOSE THIS BECAUSE I AM TRAUMATISED!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game