Hacking Configurable USB Loader

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
Modified versions of Guitar Hero don't have standardized game IDs. Hundreds of people are modifying Guitar Hero and uploading that crap all over the torrent sites, all with different IDs. Those people don't talk to each other and don't agree on a game ID beforehand, so good luck accomodating all of them in a database.

You're right, they're not standardized at all, but there are people out there that love their GH3 and custom builds of it, so they modify the game ID to be what they want, and use custom artwork they've created to match that game ID. If you're not using 6 digit IDs then there's no way for them to accomplish that.

typo99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steve-p said:
i did do it,

using v14
i put it in the root,
told preloader to load/install it.
then set preloader to run "file" at boot.

one thing - i read that you must have in the config file that when you press the home button it reboots and not exits.
if you set it to exit then it will crash.

Just want to chime in that I have this working now also since I had previously questioned it.

In preloader->install/load->select boot.dol->install it will say install successful. After that appeared I pressed 'B' to go back to the menu. However, this appears to corrupt it. I retried it but after it says install successful I just waited and it went back to the menu by itself. After this it worked fine.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
HaTaX said:
You're right, they're not standardized at all, but there are people out there that love their GH3 and custom builds of it, so they modify the game ID to be what they want, and use custom artwork they've created to match that game ID. If you're not using 6 digit IDs then there's no way for them to accomplish that.

Yes, there is. They could use a 4-letter ID.

passager57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
passager57 said:
I just installed the channel forwarder and I get 5 seconds of different video glitches before the loader screen is correctly displayed
I don't have this issue when I start the loader from the homebrew channel

anyone having the same issue ?

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
HaTaX said:

Yes, there is. They could use a 4-letter ID.

So what would someone do with the 4 letter ID of guitar hero 3? (RGHE)? Without the trailing numbers afterwords there's no way to make a variation of the original RGHE, it would have to be an entirely new, unused game ID correct?

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, hacks of retail games don't deserve their own ID, because games can be modified infinitely. Does Smash Bros with swapped textures get a different ID? What about King of Fighters with modified music?

If someone is so in love with a particular Guitar Hero mod that they insist on having a separate cover for it, they can get away with using a non-standard ID like GH01, GH02, etc to prevent overlapping with legit games.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
musicman61554 said:
Has anyone got the music to work yet. I have the mp3 in the usbloader folder in the sd card and still no music

The correct path is sd:/usb-loader/music.mp3

typo99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
In my opinion, hacks of retail games don't deserve their own ID, because games can be modified infinitely. Does Smash Bros with swapped textures get a different ID? What about King of Fighters with modified music?

If someone is so in love with a particular Guitar Hero mod that they insist on having a separate cover for it, they can get away with using a non-standard ID like GH01, GH02, etc to prevent overlapping with legit games.

Yes, that would be one way to handle them, but so would keeping the 6-digit format.

I agree with you in so much as I believe that any user modified games shouldn't go into the official GAMEID list and the individual users would be responsible for keeping track of them, but six digits would let them keep the base 4 and modify their games using the 2 extra digits as custom revisions if you will.

Really six of one half dozen of another as the saying goes, but the 6-digit format is on the pressed discs and as long as it is at least configurable then everyone can use what they feel is best to use.

zorglub07

Trophies
Website
gametdb.com
XP
Country
France
typo99 said:
I agree with you in so much as I believe that any user modified games shouldn't go into the official GAMEID list and the individual users would be responsible for keeping track of them, but six digits would let them keep the base 4 and modify their games using the 2 extra digits as custom revisions if you will.
That's my opinion as well, modified games should be part of a separate list. (although "4" would work if they edit first and last letter: C for Custom instead of R, and last letter as version)
In the "expanded titles.txt in XML format with more information" version I talk about here I added "titles_custom.txt" (but it could be another xml file) so that users can override the official name for a game with their personal preference without touching the main list. This will allow users to update their main list without having to edit all their personal exceptions every time.
Modified games could be put in this "custom" list.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
My opinion about 6 vs 4 letter IDs is, the official games should have just 4 letter IDs be it for covers and anything else.
For custom stuff, 6 letter ids are fine, or custom 4 letter ids are fine. Then the loader can check first for 6 letter id if not found, check for 4 letter id, this is how my loader behaves. What I'm trying to tell is that the work of http://www.theotherzone.com/wii/ could well be centered on 4 letter IDs for official games, and let a few exceptions with 6 letter ids for custom games...
That way, searching with a 4 letter id would have more chance of success and also there wbould be much less duplicate covers running around.

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i put music.mp3 in sd:/usb-loader but it's not working.
do i need to put something like music = 1 in my config.txt?
i'm using v15 btw (it's the latest, right?)

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
NEW: cfg v16:
[url=http://www.mediafire.com/file/ryj1jo2w32d/...oader_cfg16.zip]http://www.mediafire.com/file/ryj1jo2w32d/...oader_cfg16.zip[/url]
Changes:
- fixed music sometimes not working
- widescreen support
option: widescreen=[auto], 0, 1
If widescreen is enabled (or autodetected) then the following options are used:
option: wbackground=filename.png
option: wconsole_coords=x,y,w,h
option: wcovers_coords=x,y
Note 1: widescreen will be enabled only if the file specified by wbackground
is found, otherwise it will fall back to normal mode.
Note 2: cover images have to be named GAMEID_wide.png
downloading covers will save them with this name automatically.
Note 3: some layouts will specify widescreen cooridinates automatically
like: large3 and ultimate3, so there is no need to specify them manually,
if one of these layouts are used.

Posts merged

dlxowhd said:
i put music.mp3 in sd:/usb-loader but it's not working.
do i need to put something like music = 1 in my config.txt?
i'm using v15 btw (it's the latest, right?)

Should be fixed now, please try with version 16.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/_4oRbWv0veA?si=rOKCuNsE0oUCvEwa