Concentrated fruit squash

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Your opnion

1. Like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dislike it

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. What is this squash you speak of?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Oct 2, 2009

Concentrated fruit squash by FAST6191 at 2:48 PM (1,096 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Just thought I would set up a poll among my fellow GBAtemp members.

Over the last few months it seems fruit squash (the US bound think tang in liquid form but a bit less sweet) seems to have changed into a concentrated version. Some are playing the cheaper for you angle, some are playing the whale hugger angle (less plastic) and some say nothing but it is all the same.

As I drink little else and I am too cheap to spring for the expensive stuff (primarily as I neck about 7 litres of the squash (the original kind) a week and financing that is a bit like financing a coke habit) I go with the store brand stuff. As mentioned they have shifted to concentrated stuff and having now tried most of the big supermarkets efforts (including mixing flavours and all strengths I can think of*) I can safely say they are all vile (they even messed up lemon).

*not quite titration but I would be lying if I said I did not consider it.

A different matter but it also makes finding bottles to fill up for a day out rather hard, I have a supply that should last a while but even that is going to be stretched thin in a few months.

An informal survey of those down the pub says I am entirely correct but I thought I would see about the 'tempers. Also if you know of anywhere that still sells real squash I would be grateful.

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    What is this "squash" you speak of?

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    I don't like fruit drinks like orange juice, squash or whatever.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I don't drink it often so I've only had one bottle of the stuff here which has lasted ages, and to be honest it's not that bad once you get it diluted properly (which I'll admit, takes a few tries). And I do love the reduced environmental impact so. Then again when I used to work in a coffee shop we had some juice out back for the staff, that stuff had to be diluted 1 part juice to 13 parts water. I think that's desensitised me to strong squash [​IMG]

The smaller, local cornershop-type stores might still do own brand bottles in the older style. You know; Happy Shopper, One Stop, Costcutter, those kind of places might be worth a look.

5. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Then WHAT do you like. [​IMG]

BTT:-
    It's ok.Depends on the brand.

6. Placeholder

Member Placeholder GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you mean this Double Strength crap, it's horrible... I can NEVER get it right, I emptied like the whole bottle down the sink after just trying to get it right. It always ends up too strong or too watery... oh and they don't taste as nice.

I remember the good old days of cherry squash... that stuff was AWESOME! But they stopped making it. :C

7. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    I like it,i always drink it straight i never dilute down

8. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I drink it all the time, Rocks Organic squash is the best I've ever tasted. Everything else like Robinson's tastes so artificial and sugary... Yuck..

Plus Rocks comes in glass bottles that can be recycled... Not cheap though [​IMG]

9. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Is squash an English name?

(I am English I'm just wondering if American's use the word squash)

Depends of I feel like it really

10. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Several years later.... I was wandering around the shop and there was a 5L container of squash. Because I like experiments I thought I would go it.
    Turns out it tastes exactly like old style squash.