Computer keeps BSOD then restarting

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by zeromac, Jul 22, 2011.

Jul 22, 2011
  1. zeromac
    OP

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Well for this past week my computer has been crashing quite often. Namely yesterday and the day before that. By crashing i mean that my computer BSOD then randomly restarts itself as if nothing was wrong. But this cycle just continues and its really annoying because I have to do alot of work this weekend and I can't do it safely if my computer cuts out randomly. So far I've opened it up and couldn't see any loose wires or anything so I don't think a faulty connection is the problem.
    Also, every time I get a BSOD, its always a different error code so I'm not sure whats with that.. [​IMG]
    I'm doing a virus scan currently to see if anything is aloof with my computer software wise but it shouldn't be the problem since I'm quite careful with things.

I used WhoCrashed, a crash analyser but all that did was identify that core OS files like ntokrnl.exe were causing the problem so I'm not too confident with messing around with "core" OS files..

I wish i could provide more info on the crashes but thats about it. If anything else has something i could do that would be amazing if it worked..

I really need some help on this problem >.<

EDIT: If it helps these were the things I were doing when my computer crashed (As far as i could remember)
    Yesterday
    Crash 1) Was playing some legit Bad Company 2 and it suddenly crashed and restarted
    Crash 2) Was playing League of Legends with friends and it crashed then restarted
    Crash 3) I was doing homework in Microsoft Word and it crashed, luckily I hadn't written anything important
    Today:
    Crash 1) Turned on computer, when to log onto skype and as i clicked the button to skip the welcome screen, it crashed and restarted

So here I am now, in the morning, waiting for another crash to occur...

2. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Have you tried doing a system restore to before the crashes started occurring?

3. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Oh great, another crash just now. This time i was just browsing the Temp while i was waiting for my virus scan.. It gave me the error code, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA or something.. This is the 3rd time its given me this one. All over times I've gotten a different one. (I've had more crashes, just not listed above cos i cant remember what i was doing at that time)

EDIT: @luke, thats the thing, I'm not positive its a software error, hell im scared its going to crash just because I'm staying on this thread too long.. All i have open atm is firefox.. and skype is trying to connect or something.. and fraps

4. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You could try removing 1 stick of ram at a time to see if the problem goes away as BSOD can be caused by faulty ram. I think it will be hard for people to help you without an error code at all. That's all I can think of tbh. It could just be a problem with your OS or a virus like you said.

5. HateBreed

Member HateBreed GBAtemp Regular

United States
    would you be willing to re-install your os or even change os to say some distro of linux?

6. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Yea but I've only be BSOD'ing since last week and its only occured yesterday and today, and i got one BSOD like 4 days ago..

7. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Another crash just now [​IMG]

The error code i got was again, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA so im beginging to think that that is the main error code.. What does that mean..?/What do i do?..

8. Javier78

Newcomer Javier78 Advanced Member

United States
    Try installing WhoChrashed (http://www.resplendence.com/downloads), analyze your computer, and post the report. Although, it does look like a RAM problem. Maybe someone can help you out if you provide the report. [​IMG]

9. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    I'm going to leave my computer on for awhile so i can check it it crashes whiles its idle or if the problem is when I'm using it, and stresssing out the ram in some way..

10. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Here's an explanation of the error you keep receiving:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957625.aspx

Sounds like you may have a bad stick of RAM, or possibly some other piece of hardware. RAM can die without warning. Try re-seating all the sticks of RAM (and your various cards) in your system, sometimes it's just a flaky connection. In the case of bad RAM, removing one stick at a time until you receive no more errors is the best way to determine which stick went bad.

I had a somewhat similar issues with this PC I'm on now where the video signal would just blank-out on me sometimes, and then sometimes the PC would just shut down, and sometimes it just wouldn't turn on from a cold boot. Turns out it was a bad connection in the main power harness coming from the PSU.

Check all your connections.

11. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Ok so I've identified that that the two most likely problems are:
    1) Faulty Ram
    2) Some kind of software error leading to a PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA

I'm going to open it up inabit and try to take out the ram but as of this message, its been 40 minutes since i last crashed and I'm currently on skype with friends and typing this message.

Odd thing is, while doing the above mentioned, my Windows 7 usage meters says that 43% of the ram is being used

12. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Well i just did a system restore to before i started BSOD'ing and then proceeded to update to the newest windows upadte stuff. AFter restarting from that, i crashed...

This time it was BAD POOL HEADER

13. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    do you have any Linux disks lying around? or a spare usb key or something? either way, find a way boot version of memtest86+, watch it for a wile, if you get ANY errors, bad ram

if you dont see any errors, leave it running overnight

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Run memtest86+ as hatredg0d said. I really think you have a bad stick of RAM in the system.

15. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Yep i did that and i came up with 1 pass and 550 errors lol

Currently I've replaced my ram with my brother's ram in his computer to see if its a ram problem or a socket problem..

16. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Just another post to say that we've managed to resolve it. I'm currently sharing my brother's 4GB of ram with him (ie, i have 1 good stick of his and he has 1 bad stick of mine)

Its only a temporary thing but I guess it'll do while i save up for some new RAM

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    That is not a nice thing to do to your brother- it might not cause a BSOD for him (if the OS loads in say the first 512 it is safe enough there) but it could well see a program or three crash.

18. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Like i said, its a temporary arrangment just so I can use my computer for homework and stuff I need to get done urgently.. Its already crashed for him so I'm now pretty sure that the stick of mine he has is the faulty stick.

What I'm thinking of doing is giving him back his stick so he has 4GB but not using the faulty stick and just staying with my stick that currently, hasn't crashed yet..

Does Windows 7 home premium 64 bit run on 2GB of ram?..

19. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Windows 7 can run on as little as 1GB of RAM, albeit not very smoothly. It's fine to work on 2GB of RAM as a temporary measure, and is a LOT safer than leaving faulty RAM modules inside the computer.

20. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    I had the same problem on my other PC. Most of the time it is due to RAM but in my case it was something to do with the motherboard. Sent it off, got a new motherboard, and it worked perfectly.