Compress Wii ISOs for Romcenter

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by gamecaptor, Mar 30, 2017.

1. gamecaptor
    OP

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    Hello all,

I generally use ZIP for most of my stuff and it works fine; it's recognizable by both Romcenter and other things. The one thing I have run into is compressing Wii ISOs. In the case of Wii U I have used 7Zip with good success (decent compression and it is recognized by Romcenter). For whatever reason Wii ISOs will not compress using 7Zip.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to compress Wii ISOs into a format that Romcenter would recognize?

Side note, RAR5 actually does better compress with Wii U then 7Zip, but I understand that it won't be supported in Romcenter due to licensing.

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Wii disc images are encrypted. That's why they aren't compressing. Using a ZIP archive for Wii images isn't a good idea anyway, since ZIP isn't random access. (It'd have to decompress the whole image.)

For Wii U, I'm guessing you're using an extracted dump, which is why it "works" decently enough in a ZIP archive.

gamecaptor likes this.
  3. gamecaptor
    OP

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    Interesting, but aren't Wii U WUD/ISO files (which is what I'm working with; dumped by me) also encrypted, hence the need for the disc key?

4. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Use Wii file manager to turn them into WBFS folders, if you use NTFS you can go over 4GB's per file with the like 8 games that are over 4GB's... (not many of them are that large)

If you do that they will be a LOT smaller, some of them like Nintendo Selects: Super Mario All-Stars are like 50 something megs. lol

http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo, Mar 30, 2017