Hacking component quality...

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if im using a backup loader like cfg to load games will the improvemnt from a component cable be the same as loading the games from disc? is there any quality lost via loading from a hard drive?

also, would i see an improvement in .avi files compared to scart?

im thinking of getting a 22" lcd led tv. im currently using a 32" crt tv

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ryoku83 said:
its the same

you mean the improvent in quality is the same for disc as is it hard drive?

does that go for .avi files too?

would anyone reccomend getting a 10" smaller tv for the improved quality? is it worth it?

serenade.63

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what improvement? honestly the wii looks WORSE on HD tvs with component cables, but it will look the same between disk and an external hard drive

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so your saying SD on a 32" crt is better than 480p on a 22" led lcd tv?

can someone else add to this please! this guys about to save me some money!!

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mrpinkeye said:
so your saying SD on a 32" crt is better than 480p on a 22" led lcd tv?

can someone else add to this please! this guys about to save me some money!!
Well, it's a mixed bag really. Essentially, images have always scaled well on CRT's due to the way the picture is drawn on the tube. So while an LCD will only look good when images are displayed at the LCD's native resolution, on a CRT, just as long as you don't exceed the tubes maximum resolution, it all looks good.

As far as if you'll like the Wii on a CRT or LCD, well it depends. If only the LCD is widescreen then the extra visual space can be a benefit in certain games like Call of Duty. The CRT image should appear more vivid in colour and softer in image with less artifacts like jaggies. On the other hand a good LCD can upscale the Wii's 480p output and reduce the jaggies too. In your particular case however, between a 32" CRT and a 22" LCD, I recommend sticking with the CRT. The scale of the image will be larger, and you can save your money for a nice big screen or the Wii U for later on.

-[]D

C-Fu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on a lot of factors.

- Does the game support higher-resolution display like 480p?
- Is everything enhanced in 480p?

if so, then 480p display would look BETTER than on normal SD display.

it's like viewing 1024x768 jpg image on 1024x768 display. everything looks good. but view the same image in a 1920x1080 display, then the jpg has got to be enlarged, and you can see the jpg is blurry, blocky, etc.

get a tv that supports 480p (can switch from HD to 480p display). Or, a good HD tv with good upscaling tech in it.

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well the 22" is 1080p so im assuming its going to support 480p!

i understand stretching will make bad graphics look worse...but im actually shrinking my tv size! so a stretched SD image is going to look lame compared to a 480p shrunk image! no?

theyre both widescreen btw

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii runs best on a progressive scan enabled 480P CRT TV. I think running 480P on my HD TV through component cables looks best but a mate actually prefers the RCA plugs. Each to their own!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
C-Fu said:
- Does the game support higher-resolution display like 480p?
Which is asking if it is a Wii game.
tongue.gif

Glottiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Component 480p makes a huge difference. People who say component looks bad maybe got some cheap unshielded 1$ cables, I dunno, but there's something wrong with their setup. With component everything is way more crisp, colors are better, detail is higher etc.

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mrpinkeye said:
if im using a backup loader like cfg to load games will the improvemnt from a component cable be the same as loading the games from disc? is there any quality lost via loading from a hard drive?

It depends... will the Wii be on top of the TV or underneath it?
smile.gif

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Glottiz said:
Component 480p makes a huge difference. People who say component looks bad maybe got some cheap unshielded 1$ cables, I dunno, but there's something wrong with their setup. With component everything is way more crisp, colors are better, detail is higher etc.
Generally speaking, yes. But in the OP's specific case, he's dealing with sub 32" displays here. The perceived picture quality IMHO, will be affected more by the technology of the display rather than the format. Back to the original case, the quality of the the sets should be taken into account; CRT technology is more than mature and his set is most likely a great performer of its class, while a 22" LCD set most likely will not be that advanced of a unit.

I still highly recommend sticking with the CRT for now....

-[]D

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ha, ok, iv read up on it a bit...my tv has 1 rgb scart socket! im gonna try an rgb cable from amazon asap
smile.gif

does this mean i can plug my pc into my tv? i noticed somewhere said i have to check the horizontal scan rate (The input screen must support a horizontal scan rate of 15.625KHz- (MOST projectors, plasma and LCD panels, do whereas CRT monitors dont). Please check with your appliance manual for suitability.)

..i have no idea and it doesnt say in the manual. i have a panosonic tx-32pl10 if anyone can help

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Look up AVIA on the internet.
It help to calibrate your LCD screen.
It's the best way to optimally use your LCD flat panel.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Everything is been said already, everybody got to make good points.
I'd just like to add a few things:
Regarding the original question, games look the same whether you load them from USB, Disc or SD card.
The video output of the Wii has nothing to do with the way games are loaded into the system.
Now specifically for the Wii, I would get component cables ( or whatever equivalent they have in Europe now, SCART, or RGB I don't know what is called anymore ) regardless of the type of display you choose.
Component are always better, not only will colors be better ( less bleeding ) but also it's the only way to enable progressive scan mode, on both GC and Wii games.
Without component cables , you are stuck with 480i, the Wii will refuse to output 480p.

Now with that out of the way, CRT vs LCD :
If you can find a old fashioned widescreen CRT TV, 32"+ ( my father has one of those ) then enable progressive mode, I believe that's the best you can do with the Wii.
Games will look good, naturally antiliased from the TV scanlines, and VC games will look as close as the real thing as it gets.
If you decide to get an LCD HD TV, I would say 22" is perfect.
If you get a larger TV, the bigger it goes, the worse will the Wii look, even with component, I promise you that ( I tried myself ).
I was actually trying to get a 22" LCD myself, one that goes to 720p at the most.
Remember, 1080p on such a small device is pointless, and the more the device has to upscale the Wii, the worse it will look.
If there was anything out there with a native 480p resolution and widescreen ( and probably cheap as dirt ) then I'm sure the Wii would look best on it !

So big screen, stick with CRT.
Up to 22", the Wii will look great as well ( not so for VC games though ).

Me, I'm waiting for the Wii U, then I'll get a 47" or something, and enjoy my HD Wii !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: