Component Cable Black Screen with HDD plugged in

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Bauldrick, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Bauldrick
    OP

Member Bauldrick GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    • HDTV
    • USB HDD
    • Component Cable
    If I use the default video cable from wii to tv with usb HDD plugged in everything is fine and works.

If I use the component cable with usb HDD plugged in I get a black screen. I'm guessing it's the HDD enclosure itself that's causing this, but unsure..

With usb HDD plugged (component cable):

Start wii black screen - Unplug HDD see start menu (everythings working, not hanging etc..) - Plug in HDD black screen

The usb HDD enclosure has external power source and male to male usb cable, and the TV settings and wii settings are correct.

What causes the black screen with component cable, but not the default video cable?

2. bubbleboy

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
  3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    That would prevent you from using a USB loader...

4. Bauldrick
    OP

Member Bauldrick GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well, I just went and bought a new "Iomega Prestige Desktop Hard Drive". Formatted with wiimms tools, stuck games on it and it works fine with component cable.

Must be the other HDD enclosure..

I never tried the other port because, as stated, it would stop usbloader working. Is yours a male to male usb cable? Maybe a very small amount of voltage escapes or something..? No idea, however, in my case it was definately the enclosure causing it.

And I can't even see most of that video !!!

5. bubbleboy

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah I think it is the enclosure, I tried a self-powered drive yesterday and it worked fine. Question now is, do I buy another drive and pay $100 to be able to use my component cables.. hmmm.!

6. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Or just buy another enclosure for $20 and put the drive in it