Homebrew Complete idiot's guide to using Dios Mios?

pitweasel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all -

In my quest to actually get Dios Mios to work, I have used several different threads and websites, all of which have varying levels of conflicting information.

Is there a single, start-to-finish guide, that explains everything I need to do? What USB loader do I need to install? What version of DM do I need to install? How do I set everything up to run off of USB instead of attempting to write to the SD card?

I've tried doing it with Configurable USB Loader, and I can never get past the apploader size is zero error. And when I looked at my SD card later, there was suddenly an attempted ISO file (too big to fit on the card) that wasn't there when I started this process.

I've tried doing it with USB Loader GX, but it won't even see that there are any games on my USB device.

All of the spread out forums and sites that tell you to do different things with different software are throwing me off. Is there a one-and-done process that I can read that will help me finally figure this all out? Thanks!

Max cherry

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all -

In my quest to actually get Dios Mios to work, I have used several different threads and websites, all of which have varying levels of conflicting information.

Is there a single, start-to-finish guide, that explains everything I need to do? What USB loader do I need to install? What version of DM do I need to install? How do I set everything up to run off of USB instead of attempting to write to the SD card?

I've tried doing it with Configurable USB Loader, and I can never get past the apploader size is zero error. And when I looked at my SD card later, there was suddenly an attempted ISO file (too big to fit on the card) that wasn't there when I started this process.

I've tried doing it with USB Loader GX, but it won't even see that there are any games on my USB device.

All of the spread out forums and sites that tell you to do different things with different software are throwing me off. Is there a one-and-done process that I can read that will help me finally figure this all out? Thanks!

Hi , I have this problem too! Word for word so understand where your coming from , I'm losing interest in doing it fast , only want to play a few game cube games on my wii but keep getting the same errors, I don't know the correct folders where to keep the iso's or if I need to make changes to them either?? And I have heard that if you don't have the correct USB pen drive or hard drive that can also be a problem, it is a minefield!! But I do have the error messages you have, please let me know if you have had any luck with dios mios and I will do like wise :)

Glad it's not just me with this issue

Regards max

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most important thing i have figured thru Trial & Error is you HAVE TO FORMAT UR HDD CORRECTLY

1.Make sure it is FAT32 32k Cluster and on Single Partition
2.Install DiosMios NOT Lite (latest is DM 2.11)
3.Make a "Games" folder on ur HDD where all GC games will go
4.Use DMToolBox to convert ur GC ISO's which will give u the correct folder structure(Game ID will be folder name with sys folder and game.iso inside)
5.???
6.Success

:yaywii:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All the tuto/guide we have on this forum are outdated/incomplete/focused on a single loading method instead of explaining everything to the users.
I wanted to write an easier guide, but it ended as big as the other ones because I wanted to explain everything, so I didn't post it yet.

DMToolbox is not needed, but it's always nice for users who don't understand how to rename a filename correctly.
sys folder is not needed (you can disable the neek folders in DMToolbox if you don't use sneek/uneek).

You want a very easy idiot guide ?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-backups-not-working-at-all.359740/page-2#post-4877794
Very easy, 2 steps to follow, if you know how to install wad files.

There are more hardware and software requirement than what you explained.
HARDWARE:
Hard drive must NOT:
* be bigger than 2TB
* use advanced mode (4096bytes/sector). Only 512bytes/sector works.

SOFTWARE:
* Partition need to be the first physical partition of your drive (if your drive is partitioned, games need to be on the FIRST primary partition of the drive)
* Partition need to be primary (not extended/logical)
* Partition need to be partitioned to FAT32
* Cluster size need to be 32kB or less.

Wii:
- Connect the drive to USB Port 0
- If you connect to USBPort1, DO NOT CONNECT any HDD on port 0.
- You need BC v6

or use SD card and DML:
Hardware: no limitation
Software: FAT32, 64k/cluster or less

check here for full setup for USBLoaderGX
http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-878#post-4889738

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does DMToolbox have the ability to batch convert all my Gamecube ISOs to the folder structure of gamename [gameID] and leave my ISOs 1:1. I hear that 1:1 provides much better compatibility which is why I want to leave all my games like that. I've messed around with DiscEx and was able to create a batch script that converted all my games and left them 1:1 but I couldn't figure out any way to have the folders be gamename [gameID]. No matter what I tried it only did gameID folders. Then I found another program called GCIT (Gamecube Iso Tool) which again I was able to create a batch script for and that was able to put my ISOs in folders of gamename [gameID] but no matter what I did it always shrunk them. I couldn't figure out anyway to keep them 1:1. So now I'm messing with DMToolbox which seems like it will do exactly what I want but I can't figure out how to write a batch script for it that will do exactly what I want to all my Gamecube ISOs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DMToolbox keep your Iso 1:1 is you select the "Raw" option.
but I thought DMToolbox used the GameID only, instead of the "Game title [GameID]" format.
But I never used it, if it output the folder like you want, then you only need to select the RAW setting.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMToolbox keep your Iso 1:1 is you select the "Raw" option.
but I thought DMToolbox used the GameID only, instead of the "Game titlore [GameID]" format.
But I never used it, if it output the folder like you want, then you only need to select the RAW setting.

Yes but is there a way to have it do all my ISOs at once rather than one at a time? Like with a batch file or something? Or a way to make DiscEx use "Game title [GameID]" or make Gamecube Iso Tool not shrink my games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: strip checkers > nude chess