Complete backup solution without root?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by beikenson, Aug 13, 2018.

1. beikenson
    OP

beikenson Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Like the title says, what is the best backup solution without root currently? It is so hard to root a phone since Android 7.0.

2. amserask

amserask Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    That doesn't mean you are the only one who has this problem , the root program is complex and dangerous .
    But some backup software doesn't ask you to root your phone like this program.

Last edited by amserask, Sep 3, 2018
  3. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    What phone do you have? Most Android phones can be rooted, regardless of the Android version installed.

Once your phone is rooted, you can use a custom recovery called TWRP to make a complete backup.

Last edited by ry755, Aug 27, 2018
    yuyuyup likes this.
  4. beikenson
    OP

beikenson Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    LG G6

5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    rooting a phone usually wipe it entirely !
    if you want to backup a phone you already used, recommending rooting is maybe not advised as he will lose everything and will have nothing to backup anymore.

of course, then he can make full rom and user data backup, but I suppose he wants only backing up his data.
    some manufacturer might have tools to backup (sms, contact list, photo, etc.) to computer. if not enough, you'll have to use a program but most will need root to backup also your settings and savegames for example.

you can also use adb command line interface (it's an android developer tool) on your computer, but you have to learn how it works and which command to type to do backups of everything, or single app, etc. adb might not backup everything as some programs are protected.
    there are GUI or layer to use with adb, like titanium backup.

I never use it, but based on all the reading I did, I'd recommend Titanium. It's using adb to do the backup without root.
    you can also make a backup, root (will wipe your phone !!), and restore backup to get them back on your now rooted device. if you don't do that you'll lose everything when rooting it.
    https://www.titaniumtrack.com/lates...supports-backups-from-non-rooted-devices.html

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 29, 2018
  6. hobojoe551

hobojoe551 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2018
    United States
    You do not necessarily need to root to install TWRP. As long as you have unlocked your bootloader it is possible. The only problem with this is that in order to unlock bootloader your phone will wipe. I would recommend backing up with titanium using adb like @Cyan mentioned and then install TWRP. Afterwards you can restore your titanium backup and have TWRP. TWRP can be very useful especially if you somehow brick you phone or get stuck in a boot loop.

7. ssystar

ssystar Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2019
    Canada
    You can use Titanium Backup Pro. Hope it helps you.

Last edited by ssystar, Mar 11, 2019