Homebrew Compiling 3DS Homebrew

3DSmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running sysNAND 9.20.0-20 U and emuNAND is updated to the latest version, as per this page. Ideally, I would like to compile 3DS homebrew, convert to CIA, and install.

My questions:
  1. "It is currently impossible to install (non-legit) CIA files or use CFWs if your 3DS is above firmware 9.2!" Does this refer to sysNAND firmware, or emuNAND firmware? My emuNAND is updated to the latest firmware, so does this mean it's impossible to install custom CIA files with my current setup?
  2. If it is impossible, would following the rest of Plailect's guide make it possible to install custom CIA files on it?
  3. I see people talking about ARM9 and ARM11 all over the place. Is this important when compiling, or does compiling to .3dsx and then converting to CIA already do the job?
I'm still quite new to this and I haven't been able to find detailed answers to these questions anywhere, so any answers would highly be appreciated! Thank you! :)

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. they mean sysnand, emunand is used so signature checks can be patched allowing illigitimate CIA's to run, while being on the "newest" firmware. you can compile and install CIA's on both your sysnand and your emunand, but you'll need to run Pasta's loader from homebrew channel/ctrbootmanager for them to be viewable and runnable in 9.2, otherwise you'll have empty squares where you installed them due to the exploit allowing the install, but are unable to run them because the signature doesnt match your 3ds', which running pasta for 9.2 circumvents. I do this to run DSiware since it doesn't run from emunand correctly.
2. plailect's guide is if you're interested in a9lh. I decided it was too risky for me and I preferred separate NANDS the same as i enjoy dual booting computers.
3. different cpu cores in the 3ds got exploited differently, arm9 exploits are available only up to 9.2, nintendo patched it out. arm11 if i recall is what native homebrew runs on, which doesn't have the ability to easily escalate access to do as much as through arm9 (like decrypting games, generating xorpads to make 3ds games into cia's etc)

Last edited by Mark McDonut,
Reactions: 3DSmax

3DSmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. they mean sysnand, emunand is used so signature checks can be patched allowing illigitimate CIA's to run, while being on the "newest" firmware. you can compile and install CIA's on both your sysnand and your emunand, but you'll need to run Pasta's loader from homebrew channel/ctrbootmanager for them to be viewable and runnable in 9.2, otherwise you'll have empty squares where you installed them due to the exploit allowing the install, but are unable to run them because the signature doesnt match your 3ds', which running pasta for 9.2 circumvents. I do this to run DSiware since it doesn't run from emunand correctly.
2. plailect's guide is if you're interested in a9lh. I decided it was too risky for me and I preferred separate NANDS the same as i enjoy dual booting computers.
3. different cpu cores in the 3ds got exploited differently, arm9 exploits are available only up to 9.2, nintendo patched it out. arm11 if i recall is what native homebrew runs on, which doesn't have the ability to easily escalate access to do as much as through arm9 (like decrypting games, generating xorpads to make 3ds games into cia's etc)
So I should already be able to install CIA files just fine, as well as be able to run .3dsx files through the Homebrew Manager? Pretty cool, sounds like I'll hold off on A9LH for a while. Thank you for taking the time to answer! :)

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty cool, sounds like I'll hold off on A9LH for a while.

Just FWIW, you really should consider A9LH for your system. One thing that it helps with is that after you have it installed, you can't accidentally upgrade your sysnand and end up locked out with no way to get a CFW again. Judging from the number of 'Oops, I upgraded...' posts around here, that's a BIG safety feature.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the Upto 9.2 not entirely true we have upto 10.7 i belive w/o needing to Actually run CFW (if memory serves and please someone correct me if im wrong but i belive there are .3dsx based CIA Installers that work on 10.XX so long they used the newer Exploits.) w/ 11.0-33 you can but you must be using a CFW. (CIA installation) (this doesnt matter for Emu or Sysnand)

and A9LH isnt a Must but it is a Highly recommended option it can save yer bacon if you brick your SysNand and you can easily recover, less hassle DSiWare/GBA VC (no need to install it twice.) and leaves you with powerfull Boot-time options (Decrypt9/GodMode9/Hourglass9/EmuNand9) can customize with a boot-animation if you dont care about the extra time to boot it adds to Play the animation, (otherwise Boot time is 10x faster than Menuhax & 100% Bootrate) its not that nintendy cant patch A9LH but its extremly Difficult and unforseeable in the 3DS lifetime unless something happens involving it that really agitates Nintendy.. it takes a few hours to setup But like all things that can/does modify SysNand it carries its risks

as for Compiling Homebrew? setting this up will pretyt much leave you with an Easy means to compile most common things and leave hints how to Compile Homebrew thats not in its default list. http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-...-1-batch-file-for-compiling-3ds-stuff.427577/

Generally you need Python, CMake, Git (for your respective OS), DevkitPro for the average tool and related libs for more advanced things.

unless you want the saftey net , dont care about a missing 1GB of SD Space and the extra second Emunand adds to boot, no need to move to SysNAND CFW but with A9LH theres no Point in staying on an EmuNAND setup

but for your main question that despite your on 11.0-33 Emunand, because your likely using Luma Cakes (or God F**ing forbid rxTools) you have Sig checks patched and the ability to install CIA's is always a certanty.

Last edited by Dracari,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==