Comparing the currently available CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by naivegirl2411, Nov 13, 2015.

1. naivegirl2411
    OP

naivegirl2411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2015
    I am looking for a guide or some kind of comparison of the currently available CFW. I don't need a guide on how to install but rather a way to look at the advantages/disadvantages of the available CFW. If there isn't a thread like this currently I feel that it could help people make better decisions regarding choosing a CFW.

kiwiis likes this.
  2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Basically you use rxTools for most things, or cakes/ReiNand if you want something simpler and more stable on n3DS. Pasta/mini pasta gets used for installing things to NAND where complex stuff gets in the way. That's all there is to it.

3. naivegirl2411
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sorry im a little bit lost so im going to lump some questions together: I thought rxtools was used to install CFW and not a CFW itself? Are cakes/reinand therefore only used on the n3ds? Is pasta more suited for gateway users to simplify installing to sysnand/emunand? Lastly is any work being actively done to create new CFW or is there a general consensus of no need for a new CFW because the available ones are adequate enough for hacking?

4. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    1)rxTools is a CFW that does MANY things.

2)You can use them in O3DS too but rxTools is better suited for O3DS since it was exclusive for O3DS during a long time, easy to set up and pretty stable.

3)I personally wouldn't use Pasta other than necessity/temporal convenience to set up stuff, (like installing Cubic Ninja to sysnand so I can use Ninjhax + FBI.3dsx saving me the trouble to inject FBI).

4)There are several CFW's available, they get updated eventually with new features, bug fixes and such, I don't know why anyone would go to create a CFW from scratch at this point... Other than the lulz :rolleyes:

Last edited by Tony_93, Nov 13, 2015
    wormdood likes this.
  5. naivegirl2411
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Ah ok :) That makes a lot of sense thanks for the reply