Compaq 14" Presario Notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FireGrey, Jul 24, 2010.

Jul 24, 2010
  1. FireGrey
    OP

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I'm thinking of getting a laptop and found one i like.
    I'm just wondering if these are good:

14 Inch Screen
    Intel Celeron T3100
    1.9GHz CPU
    DVD-RW reader
    2GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Wifi
    Webcam
    $500 AUD

Is this good overall, and is it good enough to play Online Games at fast speeds?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Celerons are rather slow. They may be able to play some online games, but there are many that would be horrible to play on. Fast speeds? No - most games are geared towards at least 2.2Ghz dual core. Wiki tells me Celerons aren't configured for multi-core processing (although you can hack it to enable it), despite it being dual core. Wiki also it seems that it's classed as a CULV processor, which explains why it's slow - lower range CULV processors are designed only to run on a single core to save energy.

Further, judging by the lack of mentioned GPU, I'm guessing it's using integrated graphics. IGP = suck all graphical power. It'll probably handle Maple Story or Runescape, but I wouldn't want to try WoW or Guild Wars on it.

Considering it's a CULV laptop, gaming won't be good on it, but the battery life should be amazing. It'll be great for web browsing and office work away from the wall.

3. Jotokun

Member Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Celerons are Intel's budget CPUs. In addition to what Originality said, they have almost no cache. This hurts their performance quite a bit. There's also almost no (pre-built) computers that have Celerons that also have good GPUs. If you plan on doing any amount of gaming, stay away from this laptop.

Aside from that, its a Compaq. My experience with the brand (and judging by other people on other forums, I'm certianly not alone) is less than satisfactory. Same for HP, as HP owns Compaq.

Also, unless its a netbook, anything you buy these days that only has 2gb of ram is a ripoff.

4. FireGrey
    OP

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
  5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If you run one application at a time, then there is 0 advantage. If you like playing music, browing the internet, viewing emails, having 6 IM programs on, having a torrent client on, having 25 update routines, an antivirus program AND a game/video on at the same time? Then having extra RAM will increase the number of simultaneous programs you can run before your computer/laptop slows down to a crawl.

Also, Windows itself tends to use between 500MB-2GB of RAM, depending on how much is available (it tries to scale). Needless to say, you'll need 64bit Windows to take advantage of more than 3GB of RAM.

EDIT: As for laptop brands, most have plenty of high end powerful laptops, mid ranged business laptops and low end ultra-portable netbooks (and budget laptops but they tend to suck). If you go for Sony VAIO or HP Pavillion, you'll find that you tend to have to pay slightly more than Samsung or Acer. You can customize/build your own laptop using internet tools provided by sites like Dell/Alienware, MSI or XoticPC (I think that was the name - I don't usually use American sites) to try and create something exactly to your needs, but you may end up paying more for the service than you normally find for prebuild/noncustomizable laptops.

Think of what you want, think of what you need (i.e. cross out the things you don't), then think of what you're willing to pay (and how much to compromise). Finally, look at the actual company websites to get a good idea of what type of laptops they offer and how they cater to your needs.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the only problem is alot of laptops are discontinued quickly so choose one now and next few months you will see its gone from the site, especially these low end ones