Comcast Connection Error

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Fellow, Mar 7, 2009.

Mar 7, 2009

Comcast Connection Error by Fellow at 6:33 PM (1,122 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Fellow
    OP

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am running the internet using Comcast Broadband Internet. The internet is being accessed through an Arris Cable Modem. I am using a Linksys Router and an Arris Cable Modem.

Both the Router and the Cable Modem have cables from the Comcast Television box in them. A splitter was used to share the Comcast Television Cable signal from both devices. The problem is that I cannot connect to XBOX LIVE using the router.

The Cable Modem only has one Ethernet port, an Ethernet cable is connected from the Cable Modem's Ethernet port to the first port on the Linksys Router. The second port on the Linksys router is connected to the Network Adapter of my PC. The third port of the Linksys router has an Ethernet cable connected from the XBOX 360. The router is detecting the XBOX 360 as a machine, but it still can't connect to the internet. However, my PC can still connect to the internet whilst the XBOX 360 cannot. Here is a visual display of my network setup.

[​IMG]

The other error I have is that, I cannot get into my Router's settings. Before our new Cable/Phone/Internet installment, I was able to access my Router's settings through "http://192.168.0.1", but now that does not work.

Here are my ipconfig statistics.

Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂHost Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : self-78dc63e4e0
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂPrimary Dns SuffixÂÂ. . . . . . . :
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂNode Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂIP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂWINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.ga.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂConnection-specific DNS SuffixÂÂ. : hsd1.ga.comcast.net.
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDescription . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂPhysical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-96-1D-3B
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂAutoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂIP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.20.222.20
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂSubnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDefault Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 76.20.222.1
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.13
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂDNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.162
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ68.87.74.162
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ68.87.64.196
    ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂLease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 07, 2009 11:13:25 AM

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂLease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:13:25 A
    M
    When I type my Default Gateway address into the web browser, I cannot seem to access that page where settings can be changed, the page that is hosted through Comcast.

2. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Your ipconfig log is showing that the PC thinks its connected directly to the net...

If you just set this up, you have to run that shitty software they gave you... then you can uninstall it right away...

If you've been using it for a while now, and just got the router, turn your computer off, turn off the 360... unplug your modem, and the router...

now, in this order :

turn on modem... wait for light to say ready
    turn on router... should only take a second or two to boot up...

wait 15 seconds....

turn on PC... disable your Ethernet connection... re-enable... it should reset itself the right way.

open your browser (IE/Firefox/Opera/Chrome, what ever you use)

type in the address bar : 192.168.1.1 and hit enter -- check your router booklet for the user/pass... usually it's a blank user and admin for the pass...

if your still not connecting to the routers config page, you'll have to call Comcrap (1-800-COMCAST) and have them help you, but since you have a router, they'll just tell you to piss off...

3. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    How can you tell this if you can't access the router?

4. Fellow
    OP

Member Fellow GBAtemp Fan

United States
    2. When I say, "access the router", I mean that I cannot reach the settings page to configure the router through the PC using a web browser.

1. Well my terminology is flawed here, the router and the cable modem both have cable outputs, and the cable coming from the Comcast box has been split so it can be inserted into both the router and the modem.

Here are some pictures that may or may not help.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/MF29/S6300601.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/MF29/S6300606.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/MF29/S6300605.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/MF29/S6300604.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/MF29/S6300603.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/MF29/S6300602.jpg

Well actually the cable output from the wall has been inserted into a splitter that has both it, and the cable coming from the Comcast box in it. The cable on the other end of the splitter leads to yet another splitter, that splits the signal into two different cables which insert themselves into both the modem and router.

5. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    What a mess. Your biggest problem is that you are paying for a "Comcast Home Network". You would have been better off just getting the cable modem from them and using your own router to set up your own network. Since you are paying them for setting up your network you should have tested your XBOX360 before they left. Now they will probably charge a small fortune to come back out.

Anyway, you basically have 2 cable modems. The one on the bottom is probably only being used for your phone service. The top one (Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway) is a modem/router/access point all in one. That's why you have cables running into both of them. I don't know why you have a ethernet cable connecting the two - did you hook it up that way or did they? If you put it on there it's not needed.

Try using 192.168.1.1 to log into your gateway. If the default id/pass doesn't work try comcast/1234.