Hacking Coding vWii 3-core support - everything you need to know.

Jackalus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
With these information I guess it would be possible to exploit the Wii-U with some work, but since you basically have to re-invent the wheel it doesn't make much sense. I've reversed since 2002 with various platforms and I hate nothing more than elitists. (I know since I used to be one)

Really you tell here some noobs that they suck? You guys are idiots and as I can see from pictures you seem a bit socially awkward. So I guess you have to take the respect some way.

I know I typically like to keep my stuff closed source too or protect my work. But making such huge event of it and then reveal little info saying "piracy this piracy that" and "usux" is sure ridiculous.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 2 cents: team f0f lecture was AWESOME !

60 minutes passed away in a clap of the hands !!

Thank you very much guys for your presentation, it was really really really interesting !!!

JObnDhH.png

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yes thank u F0f! iam honest i haven't knoledge for understand all the f0f video, but i use right now HBC and iam very happy! i can use 100% of my wii, and i love DSI error like the past GURUMEDITATION with my amiga500!
I hope maxternal can finish this work! linux is a good base for make ALL kind of program, but i think the BIG goal is write 3d driver for the wiiU custom GPU.... today linux without open or closed driver is good only for server use.....
but it is logic, why spend lot of time for make a homebrew platform on closed console?
now lot of open hw is around and people can write lot of program/demo/homebrew/emulator in thousand of way, and can already write some code for the wiiU broswer...

Pogostick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since marcan, sven and comex revealed a lot of interesting information at 30c3, does this mean we worked hard enough to convince them that we've learned a lot and worked hard enough to give us the exploit or any other useful information? :D Also happy new year guys! :D I wonder what stuff'll happen in 2014. Hey Maxternal, did you get a Wii U for Christmas last year?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No 30c3 lecture was independat from this thread anyway lot of very useful info were said at the conference so now i am sure that really good reversers/devs can replicate their work.

Pogostick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they gave us the exploit, right? Also where's Max?

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Again I didn't mean to make a quadruple post.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They didn't gave the exploit. They explained the different steps they used to obtain the different keys used by the system. To my knowledge, the encryption alghoritms are not symetric, which means that the key used to decrypt stuff can't be used to encrypt stuff. So basically, with the keys you are able to decrypt Ninty stuff, but you can't encrypt your own homebrew so that the console thinks that it comes from Ninty.
After decrypting the original Ninty stuff, you need to reverse engineer it to figure out how things work. If you are lucky, you can find an exploit that can be used to run unsigned homebrew code on the system. Such an exploit can also be used to alter the Ninty code which might lead to piracy.

They didn't even provide the keys. They explained what the hashes are that they posted after 8 - 11 -14 - 30 days. They also explained what different keys the system uses and what they are used 4. They also recently gave a more detailed description of the Wiiu system on their blog.

Is this information usefull? You might be able to follow Team f0f footsteps and reproduce some of their work.
This might lead to discovering some of the keys. Bare in mind that the cat is drunk, and being drunk, probably difficult to understand.. If you have the keys, you can decrypt the Ninty stuff and start reverse engineering that.. Good luck with that.

Maybe Team f0f will provide help if you managed to reach the reverse engineering stage.. It's not up to me to decide upon that...

Reactions: pelago and Kargaroc

Sparks43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone been able to read off a wiiu formatted hdd?

How do nintendo lock the purchased games to the hdd is there something on the console itself?

delroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
obcd: you're confusing encryption and signature. The decryption stage is symmetric, the signature verification stage is asymmetric which means you won't be able to fake signatures (unless a cryptofail is found like on the PS3, which is extremely unlikely to happen).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
OP
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Since marcan, sven and comex revealed a lot of interesting information at 30c3, does this mean we worked hard enough to convince them that we've learned a lot and worked hard enough to give us the exploit or any other useful information? :D Also happy new year guys! :D I wonder what stuff'll in 2014.
Nope, they mentioned this thread but just to show how slow we go when we don't have any experts doing any of the work. They gave us an idea of where to look to get the exploit (The web browser) AND told us how to dump boot0, the PPC bootROM and the keys. (The bootROM and boot0 look fairly simple to do ... it's that drunk processor to get the keys (the important part) that would be a little tricky ... but not impossible ... not sure I really wanna get sidetracked myself with that right now, though, like I did with the NAND dumper for a while) From that point you could decrypt what's on the NAND bank and the eMMC, reverse engineer the file system (unless they just used the exact same file system they did on the vWii side.) and THEN take a look at how things work ... which would probably also help find one of the exploits in the Web browser (whether it be the same one comex found or not).
Hey Maxternal, did you get a Wii U for Christmas last year?
Not quite, debts suck, but I'm much closer now.
But where's Max? I wanna give him a link to look at. Also I wanna ask him something.
Ask away.

Reactions: Kargaroc

Pogostick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, they mentioned this thread but just to show how slow we go when we don't have any experts doing any of the work.

But we do have experts right?

Not quite, debts suck, but I'm much closer now.

Ah your debts were heavily hindering you I see.

Ask away.

You already answered it. :P

P.S. Here's the Wii U system software page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_system_software

Don't you think you should update the starting post since 30c3 passed?

Pogostick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't seen them yet.

The only person I've seen who's doing some real work is Maxternal, but he won't be able to create the required SDK all on his own.

Well you motivated some people who could turn out to be experts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WiidevU

You may not've released the exploit but you gave us the next best thing which is an idea of how to go about getting it. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Chang you have been warned!!! I will cancel my 20 dollar electronics order next month!!! lol