Clone a USB for games...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by DoJo_Master, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DoJo_Master
    OP

DoJo_Master GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    I have a usb with all my games on it but the WiiU can no longer read it at all, it works perfectly fine otherwise. I heard there was a way you can clone a usb/hard drive to another device if it was at least bigger in storage space. I bought a external ssd 500gb to clone my 128gb usb, just want to know what software I should use... I just want my zelda saves!!!

2. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    you cannot. I tried acronis and it won't work since the Wii U write some HDD specific data onto its memory. so it "knows" you just cloned the device and won't recognize it.

Marko76 likes this.
  3. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    I heard if you get the bit by bit exactly right then it cant tell the difference, I really dont want to loose my saves!

4. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    you can try to do it. I do not know anybody who did it, yet. you know there are areas in every HDD that cannot be cloned (as in S.M.A.R.T. data and serial numbers), right?

5. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    I know, but not sure if the WIIU looks for that

6. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Some tried that, Wii U just prompted to reformat so i don't think that will work.

7. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    agh!!! want my saves!!!!!!!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

anyway to make the wiiu read the usb?

8. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    France
    The Wii U encrypts everything in your hard disk using specific parameters and 'knows' when you clone data that doesn't belong to the new disk.

Your best bet is to try to transfer games/saves from the old HDD while it still works to a newer one. You might try a different enclosure with your old HDD and hopefully it'll work.

9. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    How do I transfer from the old to the new? as soon as I plug the usb be in I get the error

10. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2014
    France
    Sorry for the moment the only way to transfer data is by using the wii u itself, in the settings menu. You'll need to attach the 2 HDDs to your wii u. As I said try a different enclosure/cable and see if your old hdd works..

naddel81 likes this.
  11. Heatran5400

Heatran5400 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2013
    United States
    If your Wii U is homebrew'd, you can use saviine to extract the saves. Then all you have to do is put the saves back in, after downloading all the games.

12. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    The issue with using Saviine is that it requires you to open the game in order to save the data to the server, I am unable to open it

13. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    If the wii u won't read usb then there isn't gonna be a way to get save data off of the drive

14. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
    ugh, alright thanks... guess thats it then

15. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
  16. DoJo_Master
    OP

May 7, 2013
    Canada
  17. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    If it's a raw copy (bit-by-bit perfect copy, including any corrupted areas that are corrupted by design), how on earth would the WiiU know it was cloned?

18. sascha024

sascha024 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Use "Data Management"

Is very easy to use

19. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    Soooo many people repeating the same thing lol.

At the moment we have no way of cloning the drive. The hardware that you use is used as part of the encryption process. Even transferring the drive from one encloisure to one of the SAME MODEL will not circumvent this encryption. As it stands right now, your save files are lost.

What error are you getting when you connect the drive? If it is that you need to format the drive you are out of luck unfortunately until someone develops a way for us to connect our drives to the PC and access the files.

I suspect though your issue is slightly more complicated than that as I believe your drive may be ciorrupt, so even if you were able to connect it to the PC you would still have problems accessing the files.

DoJo_Master likes this.
  20. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Device serial numbers. Even two otherwise-identical drives will differ here.

Unless you have some way of modifying the HDD firmware (or intercepting the serial number request with some pass-through device), there's no way to change the drive serial number.