Circle Pad doesn't slide back to middle!

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Lucifer666, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    I'm a veeeeeery careful owner of consoles and I treat my 3DS XL most gently; it's in one of those super bulky protection cases and everything and it's got screen protectors on.

I guess that I've just been playing it quite a bit since Smash came out and this problem has gradually become worse wherein if I slide the circle pad left, right, or down, it doesn't slide back to the middle. Well it does, but not all the way.

Today it's reached a point where Smash is unplayable and I'm really upset. i.e. if I'm walking left and then I'd like to stop, my character would just continue walking left after I'd let go. I'm sure you guys can see 100 different ways this is problematic.

What should I do? I don't live in a region where Nintendo service centres or whatever exist so if I'm gonna send it for repairs it'd have to be at some dodgy game store, which I don't really want.

I'm open to DIY suggestions if they're feasible. Does my circle pad need replacing? Should I just spray the underside of the nub with WD-40, or is that harmful? Has anyone else come across this issue?

2. Lucifer666
    OP

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    All right so I just sprayed the underside of the circle pad with WD-40 and now the problem is a LOT worse. It barely slides back at all. Hoping it gets better when it dries up.

I'm really desperate for tips, anyone??

3. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    WD-40 is bad because it's a liquid... you should have used some graphite powder. Usually used by lock smiths but any good store should carry it.

4. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Sounds like you're screwed, better start hunting for a replacement.

5. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    If you want to replace it yourself, it's a quick, simple repair. You just need a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the back housing. You don't need to remove the motherboard or do much of any disassembly at all because the analog stick is accessible as soon as you remove the back part of the housing.

Here's the replacement part. And here's a guide.

6. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    I had this exact same problem before. Here is how it was fixed (no replacement parts required):

1. My dad took apart the 3DS to take the circle pad part off.

2. He disassembled oart of it and got rid of the piece of cloth that surrounded the bottom of it when it was assembled. (the cloth had become bunched up after several years of use and was causing the sticking)

3. He reassembled the circle pad and put it back to its original location.

4. He reassembled the 3DS.

5. I tested it out, and the circle pad movement has been good as new ever since!

Hopefully this will work for you too.