cIOS 249 fragged

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pokepokepoke, Apr 11, 2011.

Apr 11, 2011

cIOS 249 fragged by pokepokepoke at 7:53 AM (2,161 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. pokepokepoke
    OP

Newcomer pokepokepoke Newbie

Australia
    I earlier after updating my wii from 4.1-4.3 and and all possible updates that modmii provided, tried to play the Sims 3 when it had reported cIOS 249 rev 14 can't play Dual layer games.

I then tried to update cIOS 249 rev 14 to cIOS 249 rev 21. This Post shows what I had done.

After installing as the video had instructed and it had not worked.. I attempted installing it into slot 249 instead as the video had shown to install into 250, I thought by installing into 249 it'll actually overwrite cIOS 249 rev 14 with rev 21 :/. Then I had fragged ios 249.

I plea for assistance, I would greatly appreciate if you could instruct me on how to get cIOS 249 working again and updated.

I have already tried restoring it using BootMii but it requires me to enter the Konami code which I don't have a Gamecube controller to enter it with.

Thank you in advance, this is really appreciated.

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Your cIOS is...fragged? Hmm...that's a new term.

Anyhow...lemme start with a thing about forums. It's not convenient if you spread your information out over 2 threads. That makes things harder to read, and it may be that you get answers at different locations. It's just needlessly making things complicated.

Second: it shows you're new to hacking. There is a difference between IOS and cIOS. It's the IOS that is the core of the wii, and you're right to be carefull about replacing those. The cIOS, on the other hand (the c stands for custom) aren't crucial for the wii's functioning whatsoever. In fact, unmodded wii's don't have any code in them. The good thing about it is that they can happily co-exist next to each other, as there is room enough for the wii to store a whole bunch of those things. In general, IOS'es have a number below 200 while cIOS'es have ones higher than 200.

The good thing about this is that it means you can install, overwrite and even delete any cIOS without your wii doing weird things (at least: those with numbers over 200).

There is a 'but' involved. Obviously, nintendo doesn't like us installing our own cIOS. That's why IOS aren't allowed to install unsigned code. The workaround for this is a bug commonly known as the trucha bug. This allows users to install things like a cIOS. Once you have that, you can just use that cIOS to install everything else.

And I don't know how your wii looks, but that may be your problem right now: you need a trucha bugged IOS or cIOS to reinstall rev21 (the youtube vid went with 249, but you can choose any one that has that bug). If that installation failed (it got "fragged"), then obviously using 249 won't work.

Can you run syscheck, please? This proggie will check all your IOS and cIOS, and tell which ones are usable. Post the results here, please.
    (or if you want: use any cIOS or IOS that has the trucha bug as the IOS to use while installing).

A final note: that youtube video goes with a base IOS of 36. I'd go with a base of 56 instead...about the same compatibility, but it loads things faster.

EDIT: wait a seconde...just to be sure: did you, at first, follow the youtube video correct? Because that installs rev21 in slot 250. You say that it doesn't work...but did you make sure to tell your loader (CFG v67, in your case) to load the game using cIOS250 instead of 249?

3. flo

Member flo GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    249 [ FRAG ] ..that's what CFG Loader shows on the splash screen , that's why he says it's fragged
    You should use Modmii to get you CIOS'es, don't use manual installers . If you install it will overwrite the old one . To make CFG use 249 or 250 as default use the configurator or open up config.txt and change the IOS line with the number you want

4. pokepokepoke
    OP

Australia
    I really appreciate your help, and I apologize for not replying earlier (my pc also decided to not work and had to take it all apart and clean it, reformat it etc XD!)

The first time I followed the video, I did exactly as the video has shown. When I had attempted to launch a dual layer game (the Sims 3) it had still tried to launch using cIOS 249 rev 14. I had then configured (Backup launcher allows you to configure which IOS to use) the game to launch using IOS 250 as I figured that's where I installed rev21 but it also tried to launch it using cIOS 249 rev 14 :/. I had assumed I should try to install it to 249 since it would overwrite cIOS 249 rev 14 with cIOS 249 rev 21.

I am not completely new to hacking, just hacking Wii.

I have runned Syscheck, but this is the story of what had occurred. (have not uploaded syscheck just yet! thought I should just click reply for now xD edit: It freezes the scanning at about 6/10th while scanning IOS vulnerabilties)
    Before applying any hacks to my wii, it was at ver 4.1 and had used modmii to update it to 4.3 but had not installed the cIOSes because the wad manager had too many files and I simply assumed they were foreign and possibly dangerous. Then I had attempted to play the dual layer disk game and it had not worked due to it trying to load the game through cIOS 249 rev 14 which doesn't support dual layer disk games completely, I then not knowing what ModMii could do, tried to update it manually using that video earlier and installed it to both slot 249 and 250.

I had then used this guide (warning

5. pokepokepoke
    OP

Australia

Actually I have, it did not work.

I tried to follow this guide AFTER all that had occured and installed the cIOS249 wad and it still remained to be "Fragged".

I did however use cIOS 249 for the installation and ASKED it to be install to 249 but your advice is well appreciated. I still however want to fix slot 249 and would rather keep things default and updated as they should be.

6. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    The problem is that u didn't follow the ModMii Guide correctly. You say u have cIOS249 rev14 installed... that rev is not supported by ModMii.

I looked at your ModMii guide, and you did tell it to install recommended cIOSs, and the cIOSs were listed in your "Install WADs" step. But either u skipped some or all of that step, or they didn't install properly and u didn't notice... I don't know. One thing is for certain, you currently do not have ModMii's recommended cIOS249 installed.

So basically, using the files u already got from ModMii, start up your HBC, then launch MMM, then reload to IOS236 if it doesn't do that automatically, then start MMM's wad manager, then install cIOS249[56]-v21d2x3. You can also install all the other wad's from your ModMii guide's unique list of wads to install (u didn't install 1 properly, I'm guessing there might be others u skipped).

Finito!

7. pokepokepoke
    OP

Australia
    Yes, I had realised that was the problem and had reinstalled all cIOS and wads from that menu, I thought the cIOS had a different meaning when I had first used ModMii (2 days ago) and assumed they were foreign to my current desire and decided to not risk installing something ANOTHER app may have used.

Is there perhaps a reputation system or Karma? I do not know how to reward one for their help.

Despite all this I thought regardless of whether I updated it or not, it did not work since Sims 3 is failing to launch so I assumed it was not updating cIOS 249 rev 14. Everyone has been of great help, thank you.

8. XFlak

Canada
    Just saying thanks works [​IMG]

And don't forget, u can always donate to ModMii if you want! No pressure/obligation of course, but if u do, pm\email me and I'll let u in on ModMii's awesome easter eggs!

Also, just a tip for the future when using ModMii, don't ever ever skip steps. ModMii knows what its doing... my only worry is if ModMii becomes selfaware it'll be a race between ModMii and Skynet to see who pwns us first, lol.

9. pokepokepoke
    OP

Australia
    ModMiis' ability to create a guide actually and literally scared me, more impressive than scary however. I wouldn't worry about them pwning us however, we'll always have the writer of ModMii to save us >.> xD.

I will be sure to donate when I receive my allowance, when's Easter BTW? xD!

10. XFlak

Canada
    Just call me X-John Connor, lol

Thx for offering to donate. I'll understand if you change your mind, it actually happens a lot where some1 tells me they'll donate then they never do. I've gotten used to it. But the second I see anyone sending me cash through paypal I reply to them via email with the easter egg that I guarantee u will appreciate EVERY time you use ModMii! If for some reason you would rather be notified via PM or an alternate email addy, just contact me, let me know the amount and the email address that sent the donation so I can verify you are who you say u are and I'll let u know the easter egg via PM or w/e.

You get allowance? If you don't mind me asking, how old are u? I doubt you're the youngest person to ever use ModMii but I'm still curious (I think the current record is 6 or 7 years old or something like that).

I'm actually not sure when Easter is... but my Easter doesn't fall on the same day as other North Americans... and sadly I'm not sure of either date, lol.