Hacking cia types

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, sorry for the dumb question but i'm really confused what is the difference between region free and not region free cia , can rf cia game updated with a cia file update ? and will it support online multiplayer on a different region console ? and what is the difference between legit and non legit cia ?

edit : in short what is the disadvantages of rf cia ?

Last edited by Omer,

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, sorry for the dumb question but i'm really confused what is the difference between region free and not region free cia , can rf cia game updated with a cia file update ? and will it support online multiplayer on a different region console ? and what is the difference between legit and non legit cia ?

Region free means it's free of region specification. Think of it just like all regions I guess? I don't know where the confusion is stemming from.

edit:

you should ask noob questions here though in future :) https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.359035

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by Omer,

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard that rf cia games can't be updated with the net is that true ? and can I play local multiplayer game with a rf cia game ?

No it's not true, RF cia games can update fine (unless they're edited to be RF for some reason?, I don't know) either way, you're fine.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that rf cia games can't be updated with the net is that true ? and can I play local multiplayer game with a rf cia game ?
Luma has region free built in, so region free cias aren't really needed anymore. You should be able to go online and use updates with both region free and region locked cias though.

Reactions: Omer

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
As long as the titleID has not been changed, you can update only if you have the same console region as the game originally was made from.

If you had a Japanese Smash 3DS, and it was region free, you can only update it through the eShop in a Japanese console, or a Japanese .CIA.

Legit CIAs can be installed on any 3DS with arm11 kernel access. Currently, all system versions. These come from preinstalled games, and can only come from them.

Illegit CIAs can only be installed on hacked systems.

Last edited by Halvorsen,
Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

edit : in short what is the disadvantages of rf cia ?
Avoid RF Cias, since most of them got their tittle ID changed, therefore, an update will appear and can be downloaded, but it will not be applied.

Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had a Japanese Smash 3DS, and it was region free, you can only update it through the eShop in a Japanese console, or a Japanese .CIA.
the only exception to this are games which are naturally "region free", which I'm pretty sure are just Pokemon main series games.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the titleID has not been changed, you can update only if you have the same console region as the game originally was made from.

Either that or you have to get the update cia and install it for that game. I find it silly how the enctitlekey.bin don't have every update available.

I was curious. If one person creates a emunand and make it a region change to access different eshop, can it get the updates, and perhaps at the same time update the enctitlekeys.bin to have access to the update in a CIA downloader like ciangel or freeshop? That would be really useful.:unsure:

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Avoid RF Cias, since most of them got their tittle ID changed, therefore, an update will appear and can be downloaded, but it will not be applied.
ooooh mie : that's not good and I thought it's good to have rf cia , so the best to do is having a non region free cia and install it in luma to make it region free ?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ooooh mie : that's not good and I thought it's good to have rf cia , so the best to do is having a non region free cia and install it in luma to make it region free ?
yeah, since luma now supports region free, avoid anything region free to be installed as i mentioned before, that, or just use freeShop. and you can also avoid .cia files.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was curious. If one person creates a emunand and make it a region change to access different eshop, can it get the updates, and perhaps at the same time update the enctitlekeys.bin to have access to the update in a CIA downloader like ciangel or freeshop? That would be really useful.:unsure:
If it is an o3ds, it can.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Either that or you have to get the update cia and install it for that game. I find it silly how the enctitlekey.bin don't have every update available.

I already said a .CIA could be used.

And if you region change, only old 3DS can access the eShop, so only o3DS can download updates from the eShop on a region changed system.

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, since luma now supports region free, avoid anything region free to be installed as i mentioned before, that, or just use freeShop. and you can also avoid .cia files.
Sorry what is the freeshop ? and why avoiding cia files ? I thought Luma main use is that you can install cia files

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n3ds region swapping cant access the eshop under any normal circumstances (there is some complicated guide, but it probably requires a brand new secureinfo_a.)
Oh okay, I didn't know that. :P

Still it be useful to do that. If it was up to me, i would download all updates for the title keys but you can't cause the only way to get game updates is to own the game and press y at the home menu when it ask for updates. I have some japanese games i can't get updated cause no CIA or title keys exist.:unsure:

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I would instead see if the game is in freeShop first, as it provides the game, updates and DLC.
RF cias were only necessary before CFW's had it built in. Pretty much any modern CFW will have RF built in along with on-the-fly patching for TWL and AGB. Now you can just download any region and use it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.