Chromebook Question

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you have chrome open up a specific website instead of Google search? I think I found one way, but it opens both the website and Google search.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do you have chrome open up a specific website instead of Google search? I think I found one way, but it opens both the website and Google search.
I don't have a chromebook but I would assume it's the same process as the android version. In the settings there is a homepage option. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a chromebook but I would assume it's the same process as the android version. In the settings there is a homepage option. I could be wrong though.
yeah, I found the location where it should be: "open page...at boot," but the google search engine opens along with it. no idea why that is unless it's designed that way.

Reactions: fringle

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this will help or not. Explains the difference between startup and homepage and how to change both.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/95314?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop#zippy=

Doesn't seem to address the opening of search along with your set startup page though.
well, the problem is regardless of what I change, googled it before, it still opens the google search engine. I can't recall if it's instead of or in addition to though. I'd have to check as I'm not on that pc at the moment. I'm trying to make this as easy for my dad as possible. there are links to say ebay and his bank on the google search engine page. I don't know if that's the way they want you doing it or not. that does technically make it easier, but I'm not sure. I had never used a chromebook before this one. we got it several months ago as per my suggestion, because I wanted something just for internet use that was cheap ($120). I forgot about the netbooks, so it's been a learning experience, and some of it seems confusing.

Reactions: fringle

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go into chrome settings -> On Startup, you can choose customize which page to load. (It might be defaulted to 'Open the New tab Page'
not sure how, but it seems to have corrected itself (ebay now loads without google search opening), so I assume it was some sort of software bug.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anything is possible, maybe touchpad doesn't have palm detection.
there's a windows app called touchfreeze that disables the touchpad while typing. I remember having issues with the cursor jolting to a different location while typing. I don't have the problem anymore, but touchfreeze worked really well. I don't know if there's a chromebook or linux version. I installed linux on the system just to get thunderbird.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a windows app called touchfreeze that disables the touchpad while typing. I remember having issues with the cursor jolting to a different location while typing. I don't have the problem anymore, but touchfreeze worked really well. I don't know if there's a chromebook or linux version. I installed linux on the system just to get thunderbird.
Google's linux implementation is virtualized, if you do get touchfreeze or something similar installed, it will only affect linux apps.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With most laptops as well you can use the function key in combination with an F key to disable the touchpad. Found it works pretty well when using an external mouse. For the most part my laptop lid is always closed though unless I need the camera or an extra screen so don't usually have to worry about it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chromebooks feel very unintuitive compared to Android phones/tablets so hopefully they become more user friendly and open for users who want to use them as they wish. When I had a Chromebook and wanted to side-load an app I had to restart the notebook, press an F key (I forget which) and then I was able to.. this is really inconvenient.

I thought Chromebooks were Android phones/tablets with a screen and a keyboard attached to it.

Anyway, hopefully that changes.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chromebooks imo aren't worth it, they run on cheap or low spec hardware.. ex: limited storage and slow (usually eMMC), 4GB ram, Celeron or ARM based hardware. Your better off buying a used laptop with better specs and install Chrome OS on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes that's why yours won't leave me alone