Gaming Chrome OS

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who here is using Chrome OS? Do you like or hate it? Any other thoughts? I have a desktop made from old parts that I'm running Chrome OS on. The hardware could use some work but I like the OS as much as I like the web browser on Windows/Mac/Linux and that's a lot :)

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use Chrome OS on a really old laptop which I plan to give to my cousin who just wants to browse the web.

I love it, it's pretty cool. Considering picking up a Chromebook for college

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I built my Chrome desktop for two reasons. A) my dell laptop is now a POS and B) I like Google's ecosystem and I wanted something to compliment my Android tablet. Like I said earlier. The desktop needs work. Basically, more ram and a audio card but its all good :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am still uncertain as to why people treat Chrome as a full-blown OS when in fact it's a glorified stand-alone web browser built around a linux core. As you can probably tell, my approach towards it is quite negative. It's okay to use it on a computer that will only be used for web browsing, but with the same breath I say that you could just as well use a tiny linux distribution instead.

Reactions: 2 people

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mostly have to agree with Foxi. I think its silly to have both Chrome OS and Android. It would be better just to adapt Android to pc use, which is the what they are supposedly doing for jellybean.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where did you downloaded th chrome os?
Cant seem to find it.
http://getchrome.eu
That looks like a crappy clone of Chrome OS rather than the "proper" Chrome OS from what I can see. You can get builds of the real Chrome OS (well, Chromium OS. Closest you'll get most likely) here: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ (you probably want a Lime build rather than a Vanilla build - they're fairly similar, but Lime has better hardware support and some extra plugins built in. Vanilla is pretty much just a direct compile of Chromium OS).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Cant seem to find it.
That looks like a crappy clone of Chrome OS rather than the "proper" Chrome OS from what I can see. You can get builds of the real Chrome OS (well, Chromium OS. Closest you'll get most likely) here: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/ (you probably want a Lime build rather than a Vanilla build - they're fairly similar, but Lime has better hardware support and some extra plugins built in. Vanilla is pretty much just a direct compile of Chromium OS).
Gah! You are correct, indeed this is unrelated to Google, my bad. I'll remove the link to avoid confusing users. I figured that this one had *too extensive functionality* to be the "real" Chrome.

Damn you, Linux Kernel Tinkerers - don't name your product after another product! >>

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant seem to find it.
Gah! You are correct, indeed this is unrelated to Google, my bad. I'll remove the link to avoid confusing users. I figured that this one had *too extensive functionality* to be the "real" Chrome.

Damn you, Linux Kernel Tinkerers - don't name your product after another product! >>

Speaking of buillds I'm currently using Dell's build of Chrome OS. Both the Vanilla and Lime builds that were released as of yesterday kept giving me the error about flash not working :/ . Now if only I could find a build that's compatible with my motherboard's on board audio :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently there was a graphical "behind the scenes" update to the Chrome browser. I wonder if any of that was included in Chrome OS. As of an hour ago I switched to Hexxeh's Lime build of Chromium. I now have audio which makes me very happy. Now I need to find more memory for this rig and Im good :D

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Tried Chromium OS a couple of days ago (was trying to find a use for my old eee 701), but it refused to get past the chromium boot logo :-(
Ended up putting Jolicloud on it only to find my keyboard was borked and the 'f' key didn't work :glare:

Might see about trying chrome OS on my other netbook, I assume it's plays nice with dual boot? As i don't want to remove my current distribution from it.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried Chromium OS a couple of days ago (was trying to find a use for my old eee 701), but it refused to get past the chromium boot logo :-(
Ended up putting Jolicloud on it only to find my keyboard was borked and the 'f' key didn't work :glare:

Might see about trying chrome OS on my other netbook, I assume it's plays nice with dual boot? As i don't want to remove my current distribution from it.

I know that there are ways of dual booting the OS but you could always just keep the OS on a USB stick and boot to USB whenever you want to get to Chrome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night