Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by jaxxster, Jul 8, 2009.

Jul 8, 2009

Chrome OS by jaxxster at 11:55 AM (2,742 Views / 0 Likes) 44 replies

1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Yup, thats right Google are throwing thier hat into the OS world.

"Google is developing an operating system (OS) for personal computers, in a direct challenge to market leader Microsoft and its Windows system.

Google Chrome OS will be aimed initially at small, low-cost netbooks, but will eventually be used on PCs as well.

Google said netbooks with Chrome OS could be on sale by the middle of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," the firm said in its official blog.

The operating system, which will run on an open source license, was a "natural extension" of its Chrome browser, the firm said.

For Microsoft the news comes just months before it launches the latest version of its operating system, called Windows 7.

'Back to basics'

"We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds," said the blog post written by Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Google's engineering director Linus Upson.

Both men said that "the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web" and that this OS is "our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be".

To that end, the search giant said the new OS would go back to basics.

"We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates.

"It should just work," said Google.

Google already has an operating system for mobile phones called Android which can also be used to run on netbooks. Google Chrome OS will be aimed not just at laptops but also at desktops for those who spend a lot of time on the web.

"Truly competitive"

The announcement could dramatically change the market for operating systems, especially for Microsoft, the biggest player with around 90% share.

"This announcement is huge," said Rob Enderle, industry watcher and president of the Enderle Group.

"This is the first time we have had a truly competitive OS on the market in years. This is potentially disruptive and is the first real attempt by anyone to go after Microsoft.

"Google is coming at this fresh and, because it is based on a set of services that reside on the web, it is the first really post web operating system, designed from the ground up, and reconceived for a web world," Mr Enderle told the BBC.

Last year Google launched the Chrome browser, which it said was designed for "people who live on the web - searching for information, checking email, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends."

Stephen Shankland at CNET said the move had widespread implications.

"One is that it shows just how serious Google is about making the web into a foundation not just for static pages but for active applications, notably its own such as Google Docs and G-mail.

"Another: it opens new competition with Microsoft and, potentially, a new reason for anti-trust regulators to pay close attention to Google's moves."

Some commentators said Google's motivation in all this was pretty clear.

"One of Google's major goals is to take Microsoft out, to systematically destroy their hold on the market," said Mr Enderle.

"Google wants to eliminate Microsoft and it's a unique battle. The strategy is good. The big question is, will it work?"

At the popular blog, TechCrunch, MG Siegler said "Let's be clear on what this really is. This is Google dropping the mother of all bombs on its rival, Microsoft."

Microsoft releases Windows 7 later this year to replace Windows Vista and Windows XP which is eight years old.

The Redmond based company claims that 96% of netbooks run Windows to date.

Out of beta

In a separate announcement Google also revealed that many of its most popular applications had finally moved out of trial, or beta, phase.

Gmail, for example, has worn the beta tag for five years.

"We realise this situation puzzles some people, particularly those who subscribe to the traditional definition of beta software as being not yet ready for prime time," wrote Matthew Glotzbach, the director of product management in the official Google blog.

The decision to ditch the beta tag was taken because the apps had finally reached the "high bar" mark, he wrote.

More than 1.75 million companies use Google apps, according to the firm."

Source: BBC

2. tal32123

Member tal32123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i probably won't use it till about a year after everyone says its good. but i will probably install it on my sisters computer because the only thing she can basically do with hers is use the internet

3. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Awesome! Linux with a Chrome skin!
    I've been waiting for that to come forever now! [/sarcasm]

Unless this OS can do everything Windows can do, as easily as in Windows, it's just another Linux distro, and it won't be taking over the market.

4. Excellentnuke

Member Excellentnuke GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If this can run .exe files, then it'll be a hit. If it's basically Linux with no added features, then no one would buy it, except for reviewers.

5. deka01

Member deka01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    they haven't told us whats really important will it be able to run windows programs or will it be like mac and u need to buy everything specifically for it to be more exact will it run .exe and games

6. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wouldnt worry about anything. Linux is the future , the rest just pales in comparison !

7. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Could be useful for netbooks or those who do some light net browsing.

I can't see this taking off for those who use their pcs for gaming. Most games use directx these days, which is developed by microsoft.

8. sepinho

Member sepinho GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Chrome OS supposedly comes with Wine, so I guess it will run some MS programs. That's kinda missing the point though.
    Google's OS is basically meant as a "thin client OS" connecting you to services and apps hosted online. Think Google Docs/Mail/Talk, Picasa etc.

Basically what gOS already is/does.

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    most people use game consoles for gaming these days.

10. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    That isn't true. There is far more of a PC user base then consoles in the world. While not all of these would be used for gaming, quite a few are. This ranges from 'hardcore' gaming to 'casual' gaming. You just have to look at MMOs like World of Warcraft or The Sims to see this.

Some people would have you believe that PC gaming is dying, this isn't true either, it is evolving. Sadly game sales are still generally counted by those games that are store bought only. Not counting ones sold online or through digital distribution.

Anyway... sorry for the off topic. [​IMG]

11. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Chrome OS is one step closer to the mysterious cloud computing nebula. thin client visionaries those crafty Google devs...

Imho I believe they are trying to transcend the traditional desktop/internet browser paradigm and merge them, no longer will you need a web-browser your OS is the browser that also make full use of hardware accelerated graphics and fast internet connection to deliver next generation content.

lets face with piracy on the rise this will be the solution the ultimate drm machine. secure sure. if you want your content you must connect, authenticate, possibly purchase and then run your ChromeApp. but of course that is just a dream. and not a very good one.

Im not saying Chrome will become that but only time can tell.

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    uhhhh, android+?

13. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

google is a spy~ (no offense to google lovers or something, thats my opinion)

i'd never use a made by google

14. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just wait until they go bankrupt then the government will bail them out with 90% ownership

google.com + facebook = Usa spy program
    baidu.com = China spy program
    yandex.com = Russian spy program
    myspace.com = Fox news corp + Nwo spy program

15. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I can see your logic, but the major problem with it is that google's other OS, android, is incredibly easy to pirate on

16. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    This. A linux distro with Wine bundled still won't appeal most users.

17. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I still love Linux more then anything. [​IMG]

18. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You people are thinking too small. I don't have the energy to type out a long-winded response, but for the people saying it's silly because people use PCs for gaming: STFU. Google explicitly stated that it is MAINLY focused on the netbook space. It will be good and usable on a desktop, but netbooks are the main focus.

I've been saying for years that Google would be putting out a mobile OS and then a desktop OS and everybody just laughed at me. THEY CALLED ME CRAZY!!! ME! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!?!?!? WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!??!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

19. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Oh google, you so cool 8d

20. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Take as an example:
    My girlfriend.
    She isn't fond of Microsoft. She isn't fond of Mac. She isn't fond of linux.