ThePSGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone,

I recently had an issue where my external HDD suddenly "died" and the Wii U, for some reason, couldn't recognize it anymore. I needed my saves so badly so I made some research and found out that I could backup the entire content of the HDD using a tool called wfsdump which is what I ended up doing, then I reformatted the drive (on PC, making it detectable again in the Wii U settings) and put my saves back using SaveMii which was a painful and long process.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I was wondering if you could choose a different location than the one where games are installed for saves. For example my games are installed on an external HDD but every time I save, the save file goes to the Wii U internal memory (or maybe the SD card?) instead of staying on the HDD which would avoid me troubles in case my HDD screw up again.

Thanks for the help people.

Cheers!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
and put my saves back using SaveMii which was a painful and long process.
Could have used FTP... :)

Anyway, with that out of the way, I was wondering if you could choose a different location than the one where games are installed for saves. For example my games are installed on an external HDD but every time I save, the save file goes to the Wii U internal memory (or maybe the SD card?) instead of staying on the HDD which would avoid me troubles in case my HDD screw up again.
I think the OS mounts the save folder when a title is launched: if this is true, it's technically possible for a CFW (or maybe even an other resident app like TCPGecko/Cafiine/Spiik) to force internal memory or HDD... but someone would need to write it first!

Right now you can manually copy saves to the other storage with the official settings, but only one app's at a time - or you can bulk backup them to PC via FTP

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: ThePSGuy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple