Cheats for PS2 games

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by tbb043, Apr 17, 2019.

1. tbb043
    OP

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I'm having trouble getting my PS GameShark (V2?) to work, the disc loads on my old PS2 (v4 with a replacement laser), but not on my slim (90000). I used to use it, back when it was a current system, but a week or two back it gave me some error about the dongle and said it had to format it (???) or something and not to power off or take it out (so I didn't until it stopped), and now it locks up after booting but before selecting game or changing discs.

Any ideas? Or other ways to use codes (hopefully free)? Or to "make" a new dongle?

The only mods I have are for allowing swap tricks and they work fine. I have 2 versions of swap magic, one works on both PS2 systems, the other, older one won't work on my slim. Neither is the "coder" version. I also have a FreeMCboot memory card, but I'm not trying to run backups or anything, just get GS codes (or similar) on a game I have a retail disc for. The game works fine when I try just loading it, it's only the GS that's being a problem.

Everything I'm using here is NTSC-U.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You could convert your codes (with Omniconvert, and possibly a mastercode finder) to use them with PS2RD, but:

1- I don't know much about using PS2RD with original discs (most people use the version integrated into OPL)
    2- its compatibility is not stellar

tbb043 likes this.
  3. tbb043
    OP

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I don't know about ps2rd, and can't use OPL because I don't have a network adapter. But thanks anyway.

It's sort of moot anyway, as last night I managed to get things working by jostling the dongle around in the memory card slot. Stupid Interact and their shit not fitting right was the whole issue, apparently. All my 1st party (and official 3rd party) cards fit just fine... No wonder they're not in business anymore...

Ryccardo likes this.