Cheating contest entries...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by spinal_cord, Jul 22, 2009.

?

Should the people who cheated in the contest still get their prizes?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2009
  1. spinal_cord
    OP

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    One of the first things I notices when looking at the winning entries from the recent GBATemp contest, was that two of the prize winners broke the contests rules. Now, I'm one of those people who like to complain and I just cant understand how you can win a contest even when you break the rules.

There were only 3 rules in this contest...

pizzaroo Broke rule #1, nowhere on the photo does it have the word "GBATemp". This entry should not have been counted.

DigitalSquirrel Broke rule #3, the 'G' in the photo was clearly added later and is not part of the original photo, again this should not have been counted.

Two genuine entries missed out on prizes because these rule breakers were allowed to win. I for one, can't see any fairness in this.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    They may not have followed the rules to the letter, but the staff did vote on the entries and didn't have a problem with them.

I imagine the sign with GBATemp is to prove you actually took the photo and din't just grab it off the net. I see no problrm with the words Tempy in that case. The other photo was hardly heavily photoshopped or anything.

3. sparky28000

Member sparky28000 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    i think he is right they didnt follow the rules so they should been disqualified

4. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yeah the second one was just a minor edit but the first one did break the rules but still let em have the prize com on they must be so happy that they won we cant just take it away now can we [​IMG]

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    The thing with Pizzaroo is that he couldn't exactly go back up there and make another sign to take another photo, he just glanced over the rules and didn't notice GBAtemp had to be mentioned. Perhaps it wasn't pointed out good enough? Perhaps a large font type should have been used for the rules? Who knows. The photo was just to show their love for GBAtemp, and Pizzaroo did that by scaling a tower and scribbling down that Tempy was there on a piece of paper.

He's a good member though, so I think his entry should count. Can't comment on the other person since I've never heard of them.

6. Link5084

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Do you not expect people to not read the rules carefully and have them all in big huge font? The rules are the rules. It's unfair.

7. Law

United Kingdom
    I think being scared shitless is good enough grounds for forgetting to write a few words. Call it "cheating" if you want, but it really isn't. Cheating would be having sex with shaunj66 and then winning all the prizes.

You could also say that the people who posted after the deadline (but whose entries were still accepted) were also "cheating".

8. spinal_cord
    OP

United Kingdom
    If 'being a good member' is all that counts, why have a contest in the first place? Just put all the 'good members' names in a hat and pick a hand full out.

9. Law

United Kingdom
    Go climb into a glass box that's being lifted 1300 feet above ground, write a sign about GBAtemp and take a picture.

Then complain to the staff that you didn't win because people were "cheating".

This thread is about as sad as the faggot last time who made a cake and then cried about not winning, just leave it. What was the prize anyway? An R4? Just drop it, my god.

10. jesuschristmonke

Member jesuschristmonke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1. Lose a contest
    2. Cry about it
    3. Get over it and every1 goes about their business.

I believe we're working on #3 presently.

11. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yeah dude its not right they won so they won their prizes must already be shipped so let it go

no offence sipnal but would you have made this thread if you were one of the winners? [​IMG]

12. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Dude, get over it. Tempy = GBAtemp. Oh wait, Tepmy is another websites mascot, and it just so happens that someone had the same username as pizzaroo and entered a similar contest and he stole it from there. Come on.

As for the other one, yeah, he maybe should have drawn the G on a piece of paper and put it on the gameboy, but it still isn't cheating. The picture still says BAtemp. The rules were there to avoid people photoshopping Tempy onto Godzilla or some shit like that. Seriously, get over yourself. GBAtemp has contests like, once every two months.

No one likes a poor sport.

Edit: God, I just read your other posts. If I weren't staff I would call you a whiny ass bitch. Oh wait, I resigned from my position two days ago.

You are a whiny ass bitch. Costello come remove my title!

13. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sure is butthurt in this thread.

14. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Im sure that the staff knew what they were doing when they picked the winners.

[​IMG]

you lost, and thats it.

15. spinal_cord
    OP

United Kingdom
    However those who think there is no problem are in the minority.

16. nicman000

Newcomer nicman000 Advanced Member

Australia
    Evidence?

EDIT:
    Feel like an idiot now, didn't see that there.

EDIT2:
    Although, that poll uses fairly biased wording. Something like "Should *Person A* and *Person B* still get their prizes?"

17. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    Lets not get literal about this. Pizzaroo's entry clearly had his username and the word "tempy" on it, and the rule that it had to have GBAtemp on it was probably just a way to identify that it was indeed theirs and not just some picture they found on the internet. As for DigitalSquirrel's entry, there was nothing dramatic done to it to be called computer generated or photoshopped.

18. Cowgirl_Luna

Newcomer Cowgirl_Luna Member

Germany
    What's this for a competition with rules like this:

1) A sign with the word "GBAtemp" must be present in the picture
    2) No offensive imagery
    3) Photos ONLY. No Photoshop or computer generated images.

and people win who don't take care of this rules......

I had a look at the pictures too. They look nice, but that's not the point. If GBATEMP writes rules everyone should hold them. Maybe they should had named the competition "make the crazyest photo" then they should have won. I share the meaning of the users which are upset.

In pizzarros pic is nowhere "gbatemp" which breakes rule nr1... Nowhere is a rule like "take your nickname" so this should be disqualified...

In DataSquirrels pic the G is added later with photoshop and that should be disqualified, because it breakes rule nr3 which says "NO PHOTOSHOP!!!"

I think we could not change the result gbatemp made for this contest, but maybe they see that they should hold the rules they have made too. Because it should be a FAIR contest!

19. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    No you are in a minority actually.

Now hush your noise, stop being a sore loser and get over it.

YOU LOST! [​IMG]

20. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    We'll take note of this for future contests, but for now there's no good that will come from complaining. The prizes have shipped and the contest is over.

Thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.