Cheap PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Sao Mortel, Oct 16, 2009.

Oct 16, 2009

Cheap PSP by Sao Mortel at 9:22 PM (1,197 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Sao Mortel
    OP

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I want to buy my nephew a PSP for chrismas.
    1.Are all PSP the same?
    2.What should I look for?
    3.I want to buy a used one and get the most for my money.
    4.Are 1001 model as good as more recent model.
    5.How do I get it to play PS1 isos?

2. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    1. No
    2. Not a 3000, because its hard to mod.
    3.Ok - ebay
    4. Pretty much
    5. Make sure it has cfw on it, then you just put an iso into the game folder, no emulator needed

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    1. Sort of. [​IMG]
    2. Depends do you want perm cfw or temp.
    3. Ebay
    4. Yeah at least to me.
    5. You need to convert it with something like psx2psp. Make sure it has it's own folder with it's eboot.pbp in it. Then put in games folder.

4. Gluupor

Newcomer Gluupor Member

Germany
    the 1000 model compared to the 2000 and 3000 has:

1. no microphone (3000 only)
    2. is slightly bigger and weighs slightly more
    3. has a worse screen

as for modding / hacking

the 1000 is open for pretty much any way of getting a CFW on it

the 2000 has built in a mainboard in later generations that makes it impossbile to put a CFW on it

the 3000 and the latter 2000 versions are not hackable at this point

i guess im gonna link an german(unfortunately) site but w/ a great tutorial on how and what and what not is possible with certain version psp
    maby not much of a help...
    maybe u should just relay on google translate as its mostly bullet points anyway and not wall´o´texts

http://board.gulli.com/thread/1031543-psp-...en---downgrade/

the red font rite on top says that its actually not possible to hack any PSP w/ a datecode higher than 8C (can find this behin the battery) or the PSP 3000
    tho u can temporarily put a CFW on it if the Official Firmware is lower than 5.03

sorry for linking a german page but this has imo the best and most complete collection of how and how not to hack ur PSP

i guess im gonna link this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable as well for clarification on PSP related hardware terms (for example the different mainboard versions)

hope this helps

i for myself would not recommend buying a PSP on ebay
    as for getting a CFW on it id recommend getting a PSP 1000 if u not mind paying some extra money
    OR
    try to find some RL dude that u know or a friend of a friend of urs ... would enable u to actually find out if the certain PSP is CFW capable or at least capable enough for what u wanna do w/ it
    OR
    find a small store taht is not known for selling loads of PSPs (for example one can still find P!nk edition PSPs [would be model 1000] for a decent price here in germany)

fly safe

5. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    1.Are all PSP the same?
    Nope- there are 4 main models- the 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 (which is the PSPgo, which you DON'T want).
    2.What should I look for?
    If I were you, I'd look for a 2000, or a 1000. The later models of the 2000 series are very dodgy at hacking, so I'd be wary of that.
    3.I want to buy a used one and get the most for my money.
    Go to eBay or maybe even somewhere else that sells second hand PSP's.
    4.Are 1001 model as good as more recent model.
    They're OK I guess, I've got a 2003 and happy with it. But they do feel slightly better; through they do have less RAM.
    5.How do I get it to play PS1 isos?
    You need to install Custom Firmware on it. There are loads of guides on the Internet that will tell you how to go about installing it.

Hope I helped ya'.

6. Gluupor

Newcomer Gluupor Member

Germany
    PSP Go is actually called PSP N1000 so there is no model 4000

fly safe

7. DxEggman

Member DxEggman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    While the PSP 3000 is unhackable, at this point, it's not a problem. I can run a temporary CFW, play games that need 5.55 and 6.00 OFW like Disgaea 2 and Persona, and even get DLC off the Playstation Store (I bought Flonne's Castle to see if the USB Faker thing worked. Media Go thinks I'm on 6.10 OFW lol).

Also be careful buying memory sticks. I recently spent 30 bucks on a fake 8GB. However, I also just received my real 8GB, and it was only like 35 including shipping.

8. Gluupor

Newcomer Gluupor Member

Germany

only if ur not past OFW 5.03 already which could happen on a newly bought PSP 3000 especially for those coming in a bundle w/ a game that requires >5.03 as installed FW
    (as for my experience the EUR rip of gran turismo wont work even on my 5.50 GEN B2 PSP 1004 while the US one is... did not even have to patch the US one)

but past OFW 5.03 will not allow u to install temporary Custom FW (did not try and wont cuz updating to 6.0 or sth would leave me stuck w/ a OFW even on my phat unless i guess i use pandora)
    but thats what the Web is saying atm go past 5.03 and ur screwed kinda ( well imo its just a matter of time cuz everything is hackable at some point)

fly safe

9. Sao Mortel
    OP

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Thank you all for the quick reply! All i wanted to know. Gbatempers rules

10. DxEggman

Member DxEggman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ah, I should have thought of that. But yeah, that's right. My PSP which I bought in September came with 5.01 I think, and I updated to 5.03-something-or-other.