charging N3DS after installing A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Joey23475, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Joey23475
    OP

Joey23475 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    i was able to successfully install A9LH+Luma on two of my N3DS and now they are currently on the latest update.

i just noticed this a little while ago but could not find a answer to it online or google searching it

when i connect my N3DS to charge the little orange light comes on to indicate that it is charging. the issue is that even when the N3DS is fully charged the light will not turn off to indicate that it is already fully charged. this happens across both the consoles i currently have. as of right now i have 1 of them, which was at full charge, plugged in while powered down and the light has remained on for about 30 minutes now.

i was wondering if anyone here could give me some answers as to why this is happening or if i am just blind and the N3DS's have always been like this.

2. Manlydonut

Manlydonut Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    My uneducated guess would be that the battery isn't holding a charge very well, so I ASSUME it would be an iffy battery. I've never heard of A9LH doing anything like that. Anybody feel free to correct me.

3. Joey23475
    OP

Joey23475 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    would seem weird that 2 batteries, one for each DS, would fail at the same time. i just left the one of them running while in a game to drain the battery and it took around 3 hours for the red light to turn on (still had 1 line left out of the 4 in the battery icon).

it wont make me want remove the custom firmware i was just wondering why it would be doing that since i only noticed it after installing CFW. could have also been happening prior to installing it but there is no way to

4. paulttt

paulttt GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2008

Just out of interest, is it a USB charger you are using?

5. Manlydonut

Manlydonut Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    You might be right, if the battery lasts 3 hours, I don't think it's the battery. (Assuming you're running it full brightness and such.)

6. Joey23475
    OP

Joey23475 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    its one that you plug in to a wall, the gray charger. should be nintendo official

yup, full brightness, powersave mode off, 3D and sound all the way up and everything. guess it will forever be a mistery as to why that light stays on. i should mention that removing the battery makes it work again for a few minutes and then it just stays on again once i try and charge[/QUOTE]

7. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    The last 20% of the (any) battery takes twice as long to charge than the rest of the battery. Go charge a cellphone and you will see the same fall off. The battery may be close to topped but as long as you charge them while they are off that light will turn off eventually. The 3DS uses about 80mah in sleep mode with wifi on so being in sleep mode it will always be drawing power from the charger. Charge them when they are off! Then tell me they aren't getting 4 hours of battery and I'll believe your batteries are both bad.

8. Joey23475
    OP

Joey23475 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    battery life is fine, its just that the light wont turn off.

i have the system completely powered off by holding the power button and then choosing to power it down. ive let it charge for over 30 minutes and the light still would not go out.

9. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Nintendo says it takes 3.5 hours to go from 0 to 100 and that's with the wall charger. I use a USB cable which chargers at almost half that rate, so it takes almost twice as long.

Last edited by elBenyo, Jan 9, 2017
  10. Joey23475
    OP

Joey23475 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    when i said i let it charge for over 30 minutes i meant that it had full charge (the entire battery at the corner showed all blue) so letting it charge while at 4/4 lines in the battery icon still did not make the light go out

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    I will take you literally though and level with you. If the battery never ever turns that light off than the charging resistor is detecting resistance which glows that light to tell you there's charging occuring, and since the battery is not infinite, means a cell in the battery is damaged and is discharging while charging.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

My DS's can take an hour of charging when the battery says they are "Full" so I have that happen to me all the time. I really think you have two normal 3DS's lol.

12. Joey23475
    OP

Joey23475 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    that's a relief to hear, that my devices don't both have a defect. if it had anything to do with a battery im sure it wouldnt be too hard to find one that worked with the console. im just going to leave one of the devices plugged in for a while and hopefully i wont be greeted by it a few hours late.

Last edited by Joey23475, Jan 9, 2017
  13. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    I'll show you how I charge mine. I made a USB charger by cutting open a broken phone usb cable and taping back the green and white data lines, just exposing the red and black for charging. 5v@500mah won't hurt the 3DS because the charging resistor is rated for 32v@1000mah. So anyway, I use a USB battery and my cord to have a charger that I can just pick up and go. So it works like a cradle, charges at the same speed as a cradle, no need to disconnect the charger so no wear and tear on the port and they are easy to make. I've given away two to co-workers who had gone months searching for their charger. The orientation of the cords is the same for N3DS's.

Attached Files:

Last edited by elBenyo, Jan 10, 2017
    Skyshadow101 and Quantumcat like this.
  14. bobdamnit

bobdamnit GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    I didn't know this wasn't normal operation for the New 3DS. I ran mine on original firmware long enough to downgrade. As far as I knew, the light doesn't indicate charge status, however just acknowledges that a charger is plugged in.

My old 3DS would change colors to indicate charge status. Red for dead, orange for medium, and blue for charged. It would also blink blue while charging, as many of you annoyingly know. The N3DS doesn't do this. (At least, mine never has.) It's always been red/orange and constant when plugged in, even when fully charged.

15. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    My O3DS and N3DS both work the same way. Blue light when over 20%, Red when under. Plus a red LED that turns on when charging and off when full.

16. bobdamnit

bobdamnit GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Odd. Mine has never done that. I wonder what is causing it?

17. Bat420maN

Bat420maN GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Fresno
    I just did A9LH like two weeks ago and my light still goes off when it's full. Its the 20th Pokemon one if that matters.

18. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    The home screen battery indicator is very deceptive. Use 3DSIdent and it will tell you the actual percentage that is charged.

19. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    What are you missing?

20. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    I would leave it on the charger overnight and see if it goes out. If it doesn't then I'd attribute it to the battery charging/discharging at the same time. If that's the case and the light bothers you too much, you can just buy a new battery pack.