Changing SD Card: should I reinstall my CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by rtur, Jan 19, 2017.

1. rtur
    OP

rtur Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    Hello,

I've got my O3DS running Luma3ds using the A9LH. I want to upgrade my SD card, I wanted to make sure I could just copy the content of my previous card to the new SD card and end up ok? Is there **any** brick possible if I do this?

The new SD card will have a different size than the previous, which is why I have a small doubt.

A side question, do you guys recommend FAT32 formatted 64+GB cards or some people reported problems and I should preferably stick with 32GB cards?

Cheers,
    Arthur

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Backup the contents, format the bigger card to FAT32, place the contents of the older card onto the new one and it should all be okay. No brick risk whatsoever. If you don't have an emunand on the previous one, you got no worries

HyperT and rtur like this.
  3. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Just back it up and dump it onto another SD card. No worries.

Fat32
    Primary
    Cluster size of 32kb

rtur likes this.
  4. rtur
    OP

rtur Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    Alright, thanks for the information!

proflayton123 likes this.
  5. GCNMatt

GCNMatt GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Will it mess with preinstalled CIAs? Cuz my computer is only backing up about 4 gb off a full 8 gb card, the rest being CIAs.

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Do you only 4GB of games installed? Because you need to copy all of the files to have your games.

7. GCNMatt

GCNMatt GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Nevermind, went through with it and it worked perfectly, but yeah, the sd was out of space but when I copied its contents it only copied 4 gb worth. Weird.