Changing Internal Wii Serial Code

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shpinxis, Jan 6, 2011.

Jan 6, 2011
  1. Shpinxis
    OP

Newcomer Shpinxis Advanced Member

United States
    I restored my wii with another wii's NAND and so it changed my internal serial code. When i called nintedo my wii was being recognized has having another serial number. I used the setting.txt editor to change my serial code but is that enough for my wii to have its original serial code when i call nintendo?

2. Shpinxis
    OP

Newcomer Shpinxis Advanced Member

United States
    Just wondering if anyone new has tinkered with this. I changed my wii serial number with the setting.txt editor but I am wondering if that is enough for it to actually change in the NAND. When I call nintendo I want them to be seeing the new serial number I entered in.

3. Quincy

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
    In theory.. they should be able to see that it is tampered with. But the question is will they know if it was the Wii Serial number. I don't think anyone has done that and sent their wii in so I'd say just try it.

4. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Are you having a videophone or something. How is nintendo suposed to see your serial if you call them?
    So you are probably trying to use the shopping channel which is not working, and now you want to call Nintendo for help?
    To my knowledge, the wii contains a small eeprom memory as well, but I don't know what is stored in that. Fact is that it's separate from the nand.
    Another thing they can find out of your wii is it's MAC adress. That's unique for every wii as well.
    But, I don't know if they use it or not. I do know they are not very helpfull if they find out your wii has been modded.

5. Quick-zeno

Member Quick-zeno GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Perhaps the Wii is already at nintendo and they were like "wtf"

6. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Changing the SN with setting.txt should do the trick. Only problem is you may not know what the original SN was, it may not match the case of the wii. If you have an original nand.bin, you can extract the setting.txt from that.