CFW ON OLD 3DS DEMO UNIT

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by casperghost, Apr 29, 2016.

1. casperghost
    OP

casperghost Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Hi

I'am very new to the scene and looking for a bit of advice, I think of installing a CFW on one of my old 3ds. My question is what is the best guide to follow for a novice.

I have a few consoles one of them is still on firmware version 1 I believe this to be very rare so I won't be trying it on that, I also have a old demo unit will I be able to install a CFW on that? Will the CFW allow the unit to run from the battery instead of having it plugged in all the time.

Regards

Mark

2. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I think that's actually a difference in hardware, not software. The demo units are designed to run without a battery. I could be wrong, though.

astronautlevel likes this.
  3. casperghost
    OP

casperghost Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Would it still be possible to install the CFW?

4. drfsupercenter

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, it should be, but I don't think you'll be able to get it to run with the battery inserted.

(Or, actually... have you tried it? I only know that the demo kiosk units are different in that they can run while plugged in *without* a battery, but I've never owned one to try the reverse and see if it works with a battery like a normal retail unit)

5. casperghost
    OP

casperghost Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    To be honest I've never tried it without a battery in it, come me with a battery in it so left it in there, I will take it out to see what happens.

Any suggestions regarding the guide?

6. Ichigo1000

Ichigo1000 GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    United States
    How do you get demo units?

Pink Gold Peach likes this.
  7. PaiiNSteven

PaiiNSteven Newbie

My friend found one gamestop dumpster diving.

8BitWonder and CrispyYoshi like this.
  8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    if you know the folks at a store, and they will change the displays to newer consoles, or the store is closing, you can find a way to rescue neat things like demo units
    thats how you get arcade cabinets or some rare nice stuff

you can also get stuff if you are or know this guy:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by migles, Apr 29, 2016
  9. casperghost
    OP

casperghost Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Purchased from Ebay as non-working replaced the top screen to find out it's a demo unit have an xl version as well.

10. drfsupercenter

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    If anyone ever comes across a Best Buy demo, let me know and I'll pay you for it... those ones are way different from the GameStop/Target kind and actually have a computer that powers them (think the IS-Nitro capture for DS, but for 3DS)

The kind they use at GameStop, Target and other stores are, as far as I know, just retail 3DSes with slightly different hardware that lets you run them without a battery. Otherwise they function identically to retail 3DSes, exploits and all.

11. kepling5001

kepling5001 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2016
    United States
    I have an retail display xl that is this way. The charge port is completely different.

12. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    I think the O3DS demo unit is devkit in software, no way to install CFW if I'm right. MSET + ReiNand may work.