CFW/hacks with .3DS support

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gourmet, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Gourmet
    OP

Gourmet GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2015
    Brazil
    I see most people seem to be using A9LH but last time I checked it was a mess to use with gateway and I just kept using MSET+emuNAND because .3ds is important to me. Has this changed yet?

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Youre honestly best off using A9LH, you can convert your saves to use with .cia games using your gw.

PLeas,e https://3ds.guide you will benefit so much more honestly.

3. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    No, you still have to use a Gateway for .3ds support

4. Gourmet
    OP

Gourmet GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2015
    Brazil
    So MSET is still the best way to use gateway?

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Gateway still relies on A9LH version 1, but you can use Luma3DS to chainload into the Gateway launcher. Seriously, A9LH is currently the best method for booting your CFW.

6. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    I hope you know that .3ds is a worse version of .cia. .3ds files have headers, so you can't go online unless you change the header to a private one from a game you bought. cia files do not have headers, so you can go online with them.

There is literally no reason to stick to Gateway if your only reason for using it is the ability to use .3ds files. A9LH is much better. You can still use Gateway with A9LH as well, but only if you're on 11.2 FW or lower. Gateway provides no benefits though, aside from the ability to use cheats, but you can use cheats with NTR CFW as well.

7. maorninja

maorninja GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    No. That's from 4.5

The latest stable version is EmuNAND.

Though, gateway recently made a compatibility update with A9LH v1. So you can follow 3ds.guide, replace your A9LH version with a v1 install, and have your Gatway loading way better. Just don't get Gateway FastBoot, as that just locks your entire system to the card. :P

Also, to any one else watching, I'm not being hypocrytical, as he actually requested to "what's the best way to boot", instead of just asking something and then someone else randomly mentions their slavery to A9LH.

Nightwish likes this.
  8. Gourmet
    OP

Gourmet GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Thanks guys I'll just stick with the same MSET+emuNAND I have since 2013.

9. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    Use 3dsconv.exe to convert your .3ds into a .cia, then install onto your SD card. You should not even need Gateway anymore.

10. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    But .3ds is important to him. He wants to keep using his ancient setup to retain .3ds support for reasons he will not seemingly disclose to us :rolleyes:

Why would you consider .3ds "important" is something I cannot even begin to understand when CIA is literally same as .3ds but better because it has no headers.

JuniorWasTaken and goldensun87 like this.
  11. Gourmet
    OP

Gourmet GBAtemp Regular

Sep 17, 2015
    Brazil
    It's not the same. I can use two SDs without swapping, it works seamlessly without installing, I feel like it's faster too. More than well worth the trouble of a five second boot if I happen to power off.

Nightwish likes this.
  12. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Antarctica
    Between the Sacred Silence and Sleep
    ... and they are bigger, GW's CFW is known for its bricks and emunand takes lots of space for no reason.

JuniorWasTaken likes this.
  13. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    What you just said has nothing to do with what this topic is about. According to your original post, .3ds support is important to you. This would imply that if you had A9LH setup and A9LH supported .3ds you would be content and happy to use A9LH. What does that have anything to do with using multiple SD cards?

To begin with the Gateway card only has 1 SD card slot. This means you're saying you can use 2 because the other SD card is inside the console. But how does that help you? Gateway doesn't let you run .3ds files off the console's internal SD card so I don't understand your point. Your point would make sense if you did have A9LH so you could have CIA's on internal and .3ds on the external SD but this is not the case here. By the way, Gateway definitely is NOT faster than A9LH setup.

No one's forcing you to use A9LH but you are seriously limiting yourself by not using it. You could do what others do and have A9LH + Gateway if you wanted to use two SD cards in a way that makes sense .. Or, you could install A9LH on your sysNAND but not do anything beyond that. (Downgrade to 2.1, install A9LH, restore backup and leave it at that).

At the very least having A9LH means that if you end up bricking your system somehow, or if you accidentally somehow update your sysNAND, you are not fucked because you have A9LH. You'd be stupid to not install it just as an extra safety net if nothing else, because if you update to 11.3 accidentally or otherwise then that's it - if no new exploits are released then you will never have A9LH on that console.

Last edited by Distrance, Mar 2, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  14. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    .3ds support is important for me (and for OP, I assume), because of the drag-and-drop ease of use, no lengthy install times, and the ability to have multiple hot-swappable μSD cards that you can just pop in and out of the GW card.

Nightwish and soaresden like this.
  15. soaresden

soaresden GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    France
    I agree.
    I don't want to dl games and have to wait for installation when you just can drag and drop -> test it -> shitty game --> go to the trash !
    Instead of removing by a cia manager or even worse -> by options in settings

16. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    If he ask for .3ds, then no need to bother him with .cia stuff...

maorninja and Nightwish like this.
  17. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    But he said he has the ability to use two SD's without swapping. Which is literally impossible unless he refers to the internal SD card, which is really irrelevant because you cannot run .3ds files off it. Also he didn't mention whether it was an O3DS or N3DS but if it's an O3DS then your point is moot because you can as easily swap an SD card from an O3DS as you can from a Gateway card. It really is only a problem with N3DS models.

In any case as I said before, I think he should install A9LH anyway. Even if you wanted to use Gateway solely, there is no harm of having A9LH - an extra safety measure installed on the console. Plus Gateway would load much faster with A9LH as you can launch it on boot, as opposed to using DS Profile exploit - claiming that Gateway is in fact faster is just utter bullshit.

Quantumcat likes this.
  18. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    The A9LH+Luma+CIA shilling in this thread is real :rofl2:

The OP wants to use Gateway, why does it trigger you so much that you must shill for Luma+CIA install so badly? Instead of writing walls of text why the OP should ditch their Gateway cart, how about keeping your opinions to yourselves and allow the users knowledgeable on the subject to comment? ;)

And besides, the Gateway cheat engine is far superior to any other cheat solution available for the 3DS right now, and in my opinion, is worth keeping over a strictly luma-only setup. 99.9% of NTR Plugins and debugger addresses are developed with GW cheat search function :rofl2:

Arck, maorninja and Nightwish like this.
  19. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    I agree with you on A9LH. My current setup is A9LH Luma on SysNAND 11.2 with Gateway payload as a chainload. I might have to return to an EmuNAND setup with 11.3, though, unless the new Gateway update implements FIRM protection (as of now, if you boot Gateway on an 11.3 SysNAND, even if you don't update, it wipes out A9LH) or brings something entirely new to the table.

20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Well they're not really opinions, but facts countering what the OP said. OP said he likes .3ds games because of being able to use two SD cards - it was pointed out that he does not use two SD cards in his setup. OP said it's faster - it was pointed out that it is actually not faster. It has all been factual, so not sure what your problem is.

And in addition, the OP never mentioned cheats, so that's not even part of the discussion, it can't be used as an argument.

If someone was anti-vax, and said that the population would be safer and healthier if nobody vaccinated their children, and someone pointed out what life was like before vaccinations when children were crippled by Polio or killed by smallpox, would you accuse them of shilling for vaccination, and then point out they could save money by not vaccinating, when that was never part of the argument?

HyperT likes this.