Lobstercraws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

I recently bought a used PS3 that was already running CFW Rogero 4.55, however, I don't believe the Blu Ray drive is functioning. When I insert a game disc, no disc appears in the main xmb. Also, when I run Multiman when the disc is inserted, I get a black screen and it doesn't run. When I try to eject the disc, it beeps 3 times and nothing happens, I had to hold down eject and take the disc when it was force ejected.

Is it possible that the CFW had bricked the Blu Ray drive? Or is it more likely a hardware issue? And most importantly, does anyone happen to have any ideas on how I could fix this issue?

I'm using a fat PS3 btw, in case that's relevant.

Thank you!

Lobstercraws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why would u use discs? Have you tired just to run mutliman without discs?

In the case that I wish to play a blu ray movie, or just for the hell of it really haha. I would just like my PS3 to be fully functional in the case that a scenario arises where I would need to use my disc drive. Such as if I have family over and they unwrap a PS3 game for xmas, we can play it right away instead of having to wait hours for it to download and then transfer to the PS3.

Multiman is working fine when no disc is in the drive. I wasn't able to get Little Big Planet (PAL) to run using Multiman for some reason (Any advice here would be very helpful as well!) however I was able to get it running using Irisman.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CFW does not make any changes to drive firmware, so it is very unlikely it has the potential to brick a drive.

Replacing disc drive on early PS3 (prior to CECH-25xxx) requires you to keep the old logic board. If the logic board is broken then you need to remarry the drive, which is a complicated procedure.

Lobstercraws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CFW does not make any changes to drive firmware, so it is very unlikely it has the potential to brick a drive.

Replacing disc drive on early PS3 (prior to CECH-25xxx) requires you to keep the old logic board. If the logic board is broken then you need to remarry the drive, which is a complicated procedure.

Damn, well looking strictly at the hardware aspect of it then, is there anything I can do may fix the drive without replacing it? Would cleaning it, checking the cable, and checking it's alignment possibly fix it? If I have to replace the drive, I think I'll just keep things as is haha.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The best you can do is take apart of the drive and replace everything short of logic board. That's assuming logic board is not at fault here.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
In the case that I wish to play a blu ray movie, or just for the hell of it really haha. I would just like my PS3 to be fully functional in the case that a scenario arises where I would need to use my disc drive. Such as if I have family over and they unwrap a PS3 game for xmas, we can play it right away instead of having to wait hours for it to download and then transfer to the PS3.

Multiman is working fine when no disc is in the drive. I wasn't able to get Little Big Planet (PAL) to run using Multiman for some reason (Any advice here would be very helpful as well!) however I was able to get it running using Irisman.

LBP doesn't work discless so you won't be able to play it if ur BD drive is broken. But i've heard LBP3 works fine without disc(you are supposed to update the GAME to 1.02 and install oppoisoo's fix) (Ohh and its the same for LBP2, doesn't work discless)

Lobstercraws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LBP doesn't work discless so you won't be able to play it if ur BD drive is broken. But i've heard LBP3 works fine without disc(you are supposed to update the GAME to 1.02 and install oppoisoo's fix) (Ohh and its the same for LBP2, doesn't work discless)

Little Big Planet actually does work without a disc in, just not with Multiman (at least I didn't get it working with Multiman) if you run it using Irisman, it works flawlessly :). It's good to know nonetheless though, especially for those trying to get it going with Multiman!

Lobstercraws

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best you can do is take apart of the drive and replace everything short of logic board. That's assuming logic board is not at fault here.

That is what I was afraid of! I think I'll try opening it up and hoping it's just not connected properly, otherwise I guess I won't have a Blu Ray drive, for the price I got it, I have no complaints anyway :). Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc