MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can ... but it's not necessary at all

Just install Homebrew Launcher homemenu version
Installing a secondary DS VC and haxchi is riskier, but I personally prefer it for my own use since I can use button shortcuts to easily access homebrew that I mostly use. To be honest I just got a change of heart just now, it doesnt take that long to boot into homebrew with Homebrew Launcher Channel! I might switch over now

What I don't understand is updating CBHC. Since it has overwriting protection. Perhaps it has overwriting protection from haxchi installer?

Last edited by MattKimura,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
The way i update to be safe is uninstall cbhc first and then update haxchi. Afterwards run Haxchi to test funcionality (if everything is fine) install the new cbhc.

eroz76

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way i update to be safe is uninstall cbhc first and then update haxchi. Afterwards run Haxchi to test funcionality (if everything is fine) install the new cbhc.
No need for all of that. Read the first post.
If a new CBHC version comes out you can just run the installer again and let it overwrite the existing CBHC installation, same rules as on the first installation still apply.

Reactions: Orion

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus

Don't need to read the 1st post and that's been edited a few times now and I'm fully aware of that. I have been using Haxchi since it first came out using manual commands via the wupserver way before Fix94 brought out his installer. If i stick to something i stay with it unless I need to change.

Orion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't need to read the 1st post and that's been edited a few times now and I'm fully aware of that. I have been using Haxchi since it first came out using manual commands via the wupserver way before Fix94 brought out his installer. If i stick to something i stay with it unless I need to change.
The dev Fix94 himself says there's no need to uninstall CBHC and reinstall haxchi, Just update via CBHC lastest installer. No need to check if haxchi works as CBHC is haxchi and if it didn't work your coolboothax wouldn't/your system would not boot!! Fix94 also commented that he's updated countless times via just the CBHC installer during testing and that it was completely safe to do so, no need to uninstall CBHC and then install haxchi and test if it work yada yada etc... So please if you do that that's cool and all (Time consuming) But don't tell anyone else too. Just tell them to READ the FIRST POST! It's been updates several times for a REASON...

Last edited by Orion,
Reactions: eroz76

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Ffs, why create drama over nothing?

I'm not telling users to do it, if you read it. I basically said what I do and what works for me and has done before Fix94 ever mentioned it on the 1st page.

If I want to do it my way and is longer to do so, then that's my choice. There is was no malice or intention to brick anyones device and was mentioned in case people are not comfortable overwriting a previous install, even though the OP states it's safe to do so.

icw35

Trophies
XP
Country

I'm not telling users to do it, if you read it. I basically said what I do and what works for me and has done before Fix94 ever mentioned it on the 1st page.

If I want to do it my way and is longer to do so, then that's my choice. There is was no malice or intention to brick anyones device and was mentioned in case people are not comfortable overwriting a previous install, even though the OP states it's safe to do so.

Because its gbatemp! Its all about fuckwits & drama!

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FIX94 if it doesn't sound too lazy have you thought about either implementing an updater within CBHC or develop a separate app that can update it similar to Luma updater. If not because of laziness but it would give one less reason to need to take out the SD card.

It's not a huge deal if you don't just asking about future plans for it.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,

Orion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Because its gbatemp! Its all about fuckwits & drama!
No drama is implied in my comment. You guys do realize this is a post where people don't read the OP they just come straight to the last page and start reading "comments" right? Your free to do your own thing but don't tell/Don't post how your doing it as the OP is telling users another way, this is how a million and one stupid questions are ask about "how to's" because they read someone else's comments. No drama or hit at you I too was using coolboothax way before @FIX94 back when @:Phoenix first started testing and I know about wupserver and how to manually install as well but I will not post such things in a CHBC post were it's suppose to be simplified for the end user/noobs which is why the OP's been updated several times also CBHC itself has been updated for the same reasons(noobs failing to read). So sorry no fuckwits or drama, just tired of dumb questions... And I'm done with this...

Last edited by Orion,
Reactions: eroz76

FIX94

Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@FIX94 if it doesn't sound too lazy have you thought about either implementing an updater within CBHC or develop a separate app that can update it similar to Luma updater. If not because of laziness but it would give one less reason to need to take out the SD card.
I rarely take out my sd card anymore, I just push over files via ftp.
Also while v1.5 does offer install protection from something like wupinstaller or the console system menu itself you can still of course overwrite it in godmode so the actual cbhc installer will still work just fine since it directly modifies the filesystem.

icw35

Trophies
XP
Country
No drama is implied in my comment. You guys do realize this is a post where people don't read the OP they just come straight to the last page and start reading "comments" right? Your free to do your own thing but don't tell/Don't post how your doing it as the OP is telling users another way, this is how a million and one stupid questions are ask about "how to's" because they read someone else's comments. No drama or hit at you I too was using coolboothax way before @FIX94 back when @:Phoenix first started testing and I know about wupserver and how to manually install as well but I will not post such things in a CHBC post were it's suppose to be simplified for the end user/noobs which is why the OP's been updated several times also CBHC itself has been updated for the same reasons(noobs failing to read). So sorry no fuckwits or drama, just tired of dumb questions... And I'm done with this...

No dig at you orion. I hear ya man. But for all your logical reasoning, it isnt going to stop 100 threads asking the same thing, noobs and dumb questions. I wish!

Keep trying to educate 'em. I gave up long ago :P

Cyan has the patience of a saint.

Last edited by icw35,
Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fix94, could you add a protection against installing Haxchi over CBHC? it probably can be done in haxchi installer, by checking if there's a coldboot setup?
people are still thinking they NEED to update haxchi before installing an updated CBHC.

in their mind it's install haxchi BEFORE CBHC, so they want "cbhc->haxchi->chbc" and not "cbhc->cbhc"., or maybe they think they have BOTH still installed at the same time?
seeing question like "do I have to update haxchi or cbhc first?" means they think that's two separate programs and they could end installing haxchi OVER cbhc without understanding why.

if they install Haxchi before uninstalling coldboot (to reinstall cbhc? what the point?) they could mess their coldboot. as long as they are using the default config.txt it should be recoverable, but you know.... yeah, you do

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to prevent brick with WUP installer (or even an update downloaded from eshop).

Reactions: memomo and Orion

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fix94, could you add a protection against installing Haxchi over CBHC? it probably can be done in haxchi installer, by checking if there's a coldboot setup?
people are still thinking they NEED to update haxchi before installing an updated CBHC.

in their mind it's install haxchi BEFORE CBHC, so they want "cbhc->haxchi->chbc" and not "cbhc->cbhc"., or maybe they think they have BOTH still installed at the same time?
seeing question like "do I have to update haxchi or cbhc first?" means they think that's two separate programs and they could end installing haxchi OVER cbhc without understanding why.

if they install Haxchi before uninstalling coldboot (to reinstall cbhc? what the point?) they could mess their coldboot. as long as they are using the default config.txt it should be recoverable, but you know.... yeah, you do

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to prevent brick with WUP installer (or even an update downloaded from eshop).
Or... Better yet... If there is a way to merge Haxchi and CBHC into a single installer, with the option of cold-boot, it would be more efficient and solve several confusion issues, as well!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, haxchi is used mainly to launch homebrew while you are not in a CFW. To boot HBL without browserhax because you would need a CFW first to launch HBL installed channel.
if you already are in a CFW state, just install the HBL channel and launch homebrew from there.

the other option available in haxchi are already possible in coldboot haxchi too (launch an external firmware file, patch system menu, even autoboot HBL)

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no, haxchi is used mainly to launch homebrew while you are not in a CFW. To boot HBL without browserhax while not needing any patches to launch HBL installed channel.
if you already are in a CFW state, just install the HBL channel and launch homebrew from there.

the other option available in haxchi are already possible in coldboot haxchi too (launch an external firmware file, patch system menu, even autoboot HBL)

ive encountered more issues with the chanel version than with the elf version of hbc so im just running it from a second vc

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know the channel version still had issues.
I thought it was some homebrew which required an update to work on the channel version, but they have been updated now (WUP installer, ftpiiu, loadiine) due to expecting a "exit to miimaker". There are other issues?

To get "more option like Haxchi" you will always need a reboot anyway, as it's launched at boot, so you can already launch the elf version from it.
I guess the current choices are either a second VC or reboot the console and trigger "boot hbl" to load the elf version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito: Probably just my imagination