Capture card modding in 2022

BrainImpediment

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey!!! I’m interested in modding my New3dsXL to have capture card functionality, but I’m VERY uninformed on the process. All I know is that most of the people who worked on capture card mods are long gone, and I don’t want to end up buying something from an unreliable seller and permanently fusing it to my 3ds.. I need some advice, please! I also need advice as someone who’s never soldered before. My parents own a soldering kit, and I know my mother knows how to, but it isn’t something she does often. It’s an extremely delicate process, so I don’t want us to end up messing up my 3ds permanently.. is there some sort of document or thread discussing where to buy, how to install, and how to connect it to a computer? ( And maybe even advice on what software to use to record it with idk :] )

Another note- none of our computers have Linux, and we’ve never really used it before,,, I know lots of stuff like this typically relies on Linux, so, if that’s a roadblock, I really need to know!! Thanks so much again :]] I’ve never done any sort of hardware mods before, so this may or may not be a really stupid idea for a beginner project.,,

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The cards themselves can still be purchased here. I hear it's quite difficult though and probably should be avoided with no soldering experience. Installation instructions seem to be provided on the site (in Japanese).

merki still seems to be offering installation service for N2DS XL, and loopy has been working on an N3DS XL board (no ETA).

Once installed the 3ds will just have a port (probably microUSB) that you connect to your computer, simple as that. The viewer softwares are all built for Windows, actually, with other operating systems being an afterthought.

BrainImpediment

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know there are no documentation on step to step wiring for the capture card, there were only few people around the world that actually have knowledge on where to source them and how to solder them.
Dang, no wonder capture card 3DSes are so rare. Maybe there will be more stuff on it in a few years..? Idk. U can only hope, I guess.

BrainImpediment

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cards themselves can still be purchased here. I hear it's quite difficult though and probably should be avoided with no soldering experience. Installation instructions seem to be provided on the site (in Japanese).

merki still seems to be offering installation service for N2DS XL, and loopy has been working on an N3DS XL board (no ETA).

Once installed the 3ds will just have a port (probably microUSB) that you connect to your computer, simple as that. The viewer softwares are all built for Windows, actually, with other operating systems being an afterthought.
Ohh, thank you so much! I probably won’t be pursuing this project for now then lol. Would Merki and Loopy’s stuff also apply for 3DSes, or..? (I 100% doubt that but it doesn’t hurt to ask,,,)
Hopefully more people start to look into it. I wouldn’t think so since the 3DS has a very niche audience and emulation is way way easier, but, u never know!!,, thx again btw :]]

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Loopy's original board was for the small O3ds, but it's looking like he's stopped production while working on the n3dsxl board

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.