Can't install Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Youkai, Dec 16, 2008.

Dec 16, 2008

Can't install Ubuntu by Youkai at 9:52 PM (1,147 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well

thanks to some help here in the forum i got my laptop to work properly now

BUT !!!! whenever i try to install Ubuntu while its on the "Installation des Grundsystems" (Installation of main System) [says copy data] the screen freeze and nothing happens ...

any idea what could be the problem now ?

would it help to do format c before installing ? i wanted to have windows still there if i would not like linux

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    don't format C unless during install.

maybe it is actually copying data...?

3. Zamo

Member Zamo GBAtemp Regular

South Africa
    Are you using wubi to inistall it(from inside windows)? If so your drive may be too fragmented for it to install. Try defragging.

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Are you installing from within windows? You should boot the live disc to install.

5. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    well i tried from within windows and after restartin its doing some stuff and get stuck

than i tried to install from CD before anything was started .. well after some time it goes into the same screen again (background and mouse already there) and gets stuck

and than i booted the linux from CD which worked and installed afterwards and still same after some percent it stucks

already did the mem test and disc check everything says its ok

6. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Which version are you installing, and what do you mean by "(Installation of main System) [says copy data]" you mean after you have done a live session and its during the installation. I remember when i installed a while back ubuntu 7.10 it stayed there for some time but then it was fine. Just give it some time, like a whole night just in case. I'm sure it hasn't frozen its just working but really slowly. If problems persist then you've probably got your hands on a bad copy of the disc. Id advise you to download a fresh ISO and burn it to a CD and then try it. I hope this helps

7. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    well so you think if i just let it on the night it will be ok ?

its while installing after the partitioning that at some point it just freeze ...
    before i can move mouse and such and than nothing ... after one hour still no percent up

and well i just downloaded the iso one week ago and CD check that is included says everything is fine

Well now it froze at changing partition size

8. Zamo

Member Zamo GBAtemp Regular

South Africa
    I had the same problem and the cause was a fragmented hard drive due to windows. Like I said, try a defrag.

9. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    well i fragmented and did scandisc and everything now but still nothing

but now when i start install in windows i get an error about that i have only 255 ram and that 256 is needed ??? how the hell can i have 255 ???

well i had to take out one of the rams because it was completely busted but the other one seems to work fine ... and ram check didn't say anything before maybe i do it again ... would be bad if its broken now too.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "256 ram" Graphics cards can take it and various other little things can mess around with it (suffice it to say it is not an error). More importantly 256 is not enough for graphics heavy like ubuntu and linux mint (I say 512 min for that sort of thing, especially graphical install).

Find an XFCE version or better yet get a more low rent distro like puppy linux or damn small linux.

11. Kokuyoku

Newcomer Kokuyoku Member

United Kingdom
    Are you trying to install Ubuntu 8.10? Is it freezing at 5% during the partitioning process cause I'm having the same programs. I know my laptop is compatible (by the virtue of typing this up on a live boot version of Ubuntu)

12. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    yes 8.10 but it does not freeze at 5% it always differs.

but well Fast says my lap can't handle it so well ...

13. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Try backing up your entire hard disk, booting live and reformatting your partition with gParted. Then copy back (after reinstalling windows) and install ubuntu on a fresh partition.