Can't even get into priiloader menu after USBloaderGX update

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jwalther420, Feb 3, 2010.

1. jwalther420
    OP

Newcomer jwalther420 Newbie

United States
    So I used the 4.2 hacking guide, installed priiloader v0.2, used a usbloader gx forwarder, everything working just fine. I think I installed Bootmii as IOS and took a backup because it wouldn't install as boot2 on this wii. I really just followed the guide and did what it told me to do.

Everything was working great...I had it setup so that priiloader automatically loaded USB Loader GX when I powered up the wii. I also had it return to USBLoader GX when going to system menu. It was running fine like this for a month.

2 days ago, I went into USB Loader GX's settings and noticed an Update button. I did that, it downloaded an update and installed it, and all seemed fine. Next time I rebooted my wii, I just get a splash screen like before that says "Loading USB Loader GX" and nothing happens.

If I hold down the reset button while powering on the wii, I just get a black screen.

The strange thing is that I get this exact same behavior with the SD card inserted or without it inserted. It doesn't seem to matter. I get the splash screen and nothing else or I get a black screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

2. SherlockHolmeboy

Member SherlockHolmeboy GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hmm, that's wierd. USB Loader GX shouldn't even touch your NAND. Have you tried reinstalling Priiloader?

3. jwalther420
    OP

United States
    I can't reinstall because I can't get anywhere. I either get a splash screen and nothing else or if I hold reset I get a blank screen.

Is there some other method I should be trying to get into HBC or something to try reinstalling?

4. Daco

Banned Daco Banned

Belgium
    that is indeed odd...
    unless your settings would have been pooped big time for some odd reason i dont see anything wrong :/

also, if you have a nand backup try to find some1 who wants to flash that nand backup back (if you dont have bootmii as boot2) or do it yourself (not recommended unless you know wtf youre doing)

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i don't believe for 1 minute that it was the update of GX which caused this, but here's how to fix it...

that is just a forwarder dol you have. it will start any dol you have in your SD card in the right folder. first rename the config folder to force the forwarder dol to look in sd:/apps/usbloader_gx/boot.dol. that means you can stick dop-ios or whatever in there and it should start. so whatever you really did to break your wii, you can start a dol here and undo it.

6. Ultralex

Member Ultralex GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    maybe the update corrupted the boot.dol,redownload it with the computer put it on the sd and if it works then,launch the homebrew channel,boot bootmii and restore your nand.

7. jwalther420
    OP

United States
    Is the boot.dol the priiloader boot.dol? As in..I take the boot.dol in the priiloader package and put it in the root of the sd card?

8. Ultralex

Member Ultralex GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I meant usbloadergx boot.dol

9. jwalther420
    OP

United States
    Yea...I'll give that a shot. That wouldn't prevent me from getting into the priiloader menu though, right? I'm somewhat of a newb but I'm quite sure I didn't do anything other than uploading usbloader gx from within the app itself.

10. SherlockHolmeboy

Member SherlockHolmeboy GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well, if you follow giantpune's suggestion, you can use Dop-IOS to reinstall a fresh System Menu, which should let you back into the Wii Menu. You can then use the Homebrew Channel to test if USB Loader GX is corrupted, and reinstall Priiloader!

11. jwalther420
    OP

United States
    Damnit...thanks all for the help. Sadly, I failed. It turns out the USB drive was in some odd state where it was stuck spinning. I didn't notice it. How that could actually keep priioader menu from loading I have no idea. Anyway, I swapped out my wiis and the "good" one behaved the exact same way so I went piece by piece and narrowed it down to the USB drive. Power cycled that and fixed the issue.

So if there is 1 lesson to be learned here...its that the USB drive alone can cause odd behavior on the wii.

Thanks again everyone!