beemisc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am using WD My Book 500GB with NTFS format in the combination of Configuration USB Loader, Wii Backup Manager and WiiExplorer. It was running good until this morning I detached my HDD from Wii and connected it to the home PC Windows 7. There's a popup dialog asked me to format the drive. I cancelled it and opened Explorer but it didn't allow to access the HDD unless I agreed to format the drive.

I remember the last action I did in Wii was using WiiExplorer to copy some music and covers from PC/SD to NTFS HDD (at this time the HDD was connected to Wii).

Has anyone experienced the similar thing? Any advice to fix this to save my data in the HDD?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I know there might be a problem with the HDD, but aside from that, I'd like to get the opion and suggestions before suffering the pain to format the drive.

beemisc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That should be weird since I didn't do any action to format it to WBFS.
I've also tried to use Wii Backup Manager to load the drive while it's not regconized by the OS but Wii Backup Manager failed to do that as well. Is there any software I listed above may did this without my notice?

Thanks,

beemisc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, luckily found out. The boot record of the disk is broken somehow and OS could recognize it as RAW only. Running chkdsk fixes my issue. Recommend avoiding writing to NTFS USB HDD from Wii for now.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Wiixplorer only wrote in FAT32 format, which would make sense that your disk is corrupt if it's trying to write one type of file system into another one (NTFS).

Not to mention that, FAT32 is a very sketchy file system to be using on anything larger than 32gb partitions, and almost unstable above ~127 GB, so you may want to do most of your file management on your PC for stability purposes going forward.

Here's some info on it from microsoft - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184006

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)