Cannot Load Retail KOR game on USA Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by mister_C, Aug 15, 2011.

Aug 15, 2011
  1. mister_C
    OP

Newcomer mister_C Member

United States
    Hello,

I have some Korean retail Wii games that I am attempting to load on my NTSC USA Wii.

My Wii is a launch-date model that had the original Wiikey installed. As I understand it, modchip-enabled region-free loading through the Nintendo disk channel was crippled with a system update a while ago. I currently have my Wii on the most current firmware. I do not have any cIOS installed.

All I want is to load my retail Korean games from a region-free loader within the homebrew channel menu.

I have tried the newest vesions of Geckos, Tinyload and Neogamma. All three programs seem to give me the same problem. When I select "launch dvd" the programs show the correct disc ID, and say something along the lines of "loading disc...", but then hard-freeze (have to hold down power button to restart system). I am never able to get past the homebrew loading screen.

My Japanese/USA wii games load fine through the fore-mentioned loaders.

I have also played with the programs' menu options to change things to "region-free" and "Korean language" and whatnot. I still get the same hard freeze when I try to load any retail Korean disc.

Does anyone have any further ideas or suggestions?

In advance I do not wish to use usb drive/sd game loading or any cIOS.

Thanks

2. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    I'm not familiar with Korean Games but i'll throw out some ideas. i believe you need the Korean key installed inorder to play these games, so try using the latest d2x.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=277...p;#entry3830712

Just read this part. I'll let someone else help you on doing this legit.

3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Lol, then you will have to get a Korean Wii.

4. mister_C
    OP

Newcomer mister_C Member

United States
    Thank you to the two posters for giving their input.

Ok, well I decided to install a cIOS (d2x ver 6 with IOS57 (also tried IOS 56 and 58) as a base and I installed it in slot 249 each time). I am using the most recent version of Neogamma to load the discs.

Now, some Korean retail discs load, such as New Super Mario Bros Wii (K), Mario Power Soccer (K), Wii Sports (K) and Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary Disc (K).

Some discs still don't work. (errors happer after disc loading screen disappears)

Super Mario Wii (Galaxy 1) (K) - stays on green screen
    Boom Blox (K) - black screen
    Daenantu Smash Bros. (Brawl) (K) - black screen

Just for the heck of it I tried to load US games such as SSBB USA and it loaded fine in Neogamma.

I tried changing the IOS base file (56,57,58) and then reinstalling the d2x ver6 into slot 249 (since by default 249 is the only ios NeoGamma will load games with).

I have the same problems no matter which base file I use. Would using other IOSs as base files perhaps help this problem?

Does anyone have any additional ideas?

Thanks.

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Use base 38 (won't work for Korean games though), 56, and 57. You shouldn't need anything else. Instead of installing new ones each time, try this:
    248[38] d2x v6
    249[56] d2x v6
    250[57] d2x v6

You can use NeoGamma IOS Switcher to change the IOS it uses:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bo2ic6050yh7s4s

If those Korean games won't load using base 56 or 57, then I doubt anything will work around that.

You could downgrade to 4.1U using ModMii and block updates with Priiloader. You should be able to play Korean games from the disc channel then.

6. damysteryman

Member damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Antarctica
    The KOR region games use a different common key (key used for decrypting the data on game discs to read them) compared to the rest of the world's games, so that is why they do not load on a USA Wii despite the region free hacks. The d2x cIOS has this Korean common key added to it, and that is why it can read them.

And your syptoms of the few problematic games look like they could be related to video mode or language problems.

First of all, have you tried changing some of the settings in NeoGamma?
    In NeoGamma's main menu, go to Options > Wii Options, and then try setting:

Boot Lang > Korean or Auto Force
    Force Video > Disc or NTSC480i (or NTSC480p if you are using component cables)

...and then try loading the game. Hopefully that will enable them to work. [​IMG]

If you want to load them via the Disc Channel, it IS doable, but a tad more complicated than just a region free hack... it involves having to add the Korean common key some to the official IOS that are requested by the Wii's System Menu and by the games themselves (DARKCORP can do this, but DARKCORP modifies a lot more than just that, and it is a bit out-of-date too [​IMG] ).

The Disc Channel also cannot force the Korean Language setting like NeoGamma does, so games that need the language setting to be forced (I personally do not know of any, but there probably are some) would have problems loading via Disc Channel anyway. If you still want to add Korean Game support to Disc Channel, first install priiloader and enable the region free hack, then either install DARKCORP (might want to make a NAND Backup with BootMii first!), or if you want a slightly cleaner and safer way, just tell me and I can modify the correct IOS myself for you [​IMG] (Just keep in mind that I am slow to reply these days).

7. mister_C
    OP

Newcomer mister_C Member

United States
    Thank you damysteryman-

Sure enough, I changed those manual settings in Neogamma (lang to Korean and video to NTSC 480p) and every Korean game I throw at it loads.

I am somewhat curious as to why some of the other Korean games loaded fine without those setting changes, but it the end it works regardless (which is all that matters right?).

Thanks again