Cannot delete cheats.dat file

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by impizkit, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impizkit
    OP

impizkit Lazy Lurker

Apr 6, 2010
    As the topic states, I have a cheats.dat file on my desktop that I cannot delete. It is 0 kb in size. When I try to delete it, it says that it cannot find the file specified. I have Windows 7 Ultimate if that helps. I have tried a few things I found online such as using cmd prompt and even downloaded a few programs that are supposed to help delete it, but nothing works. Right now I have a gadget clock covering it because I am sick of looking at it. I usually leave nothing on my desktop and this is driving me crazy. Any ideas what I can do to get rid of this?

2. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    This used to happen to me a while back on Windows XP. The file is gone, but the logo is there. All I did was just restart my computer, I assume thats what you did?

3. Dter ic

Dter ic ~

Feb 19, 2009
    right click on the fikle then click refresh

4. impizkit
    OP

impizkit Lazy Lurker

Apr 6, 2010
    I have rebooted many times since then. I have had it there for a couple months. Im at work right now so I cant try the refresh, but I will give that a try. Any other suggestions....

5. Dter ic

Dter ic ~

Feb 19, 2009
    if that fails try safe mode and delete

6. impizkit
    OP

impizkit Lazy Lurker

Apr 6, 2010
    I will give those options a try. Thanks Dter ic. If niether work, I will report back.

7. Waflix

Waflix El Psy Congroo

Dec 17, 2010
    Netherlands
    I have problems like that sometimes too, the thing is that the file size is 0 kB. So I just let them there, and eventually they dissapear. - (I think this is what ShadowSoldier sais too.)

Sometimes the problems with me is that it is on a portable device, and when I remove them they come back. If I delete it again, and remove the device safely, the file is deleted permanently.

If this is what Dter ic also said, I would like to apologize. I didn't understand them well.

8. Bently

Bently GBAtemp Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    If all of the previous options failed try using Unlocker.

9. impizkit
    OP

impizkit Lazy Lurker

Apr 6, 2010
    Thank you Bently! That did the trick! Thanks to everyone else who gave suggestions as well.