Cannot block updates whatsoever.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by FusionGamer, May 4, 2016.

1. FusionGamer
    OP

FusionGamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    I am having problems with blocking updates.

Yesterday, I started using OpenDNS to block updates and it worked absolutely fine. (Red X appeared.) However, today I started blocking the URLs via my router settings, and the red X does not appear. So I decided to try using both TubeHax and OpenDNS and now they don't work.

Router settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0tyc8gxfiqk34v/Router Settings.PNG?dl=0

WTF is going on?

2. GorillaGD

GorillaGD Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    At the time you made this thread, tubehax may have been down. The best way to check if your router is blocking the update servers properly is to open them in your pc browser and see if your router tells you that the site has been blocked or not.

In my case, I simply added the update urls to my time warner cable provided arris modem's parental controls filter and "some" of them gives me a blocked message.

Last edited by GorillaGD, May 4, 2016
  3. FusionGamer
    OP

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, my router is blocking the URLs. I also can't access the eShop.
    However, the red "X" doesn't appear.

4. GorillaGD

GorillaGD Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    I'm looking at my Wii U now and it doesn't have the red x either. It's possible Nintendo opened a new update server that isn't blocked yet. Probably should disconnect your wii u from the internet until the community looks into it.

FusionGamer likes this.
  5. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    It doesn't always appear. It can sometimes take a while after booting it up for the red X to appear. It doesn't try to connect all the time, or necessarily, right after booting.

Sometimes, even if you start a game or something, and then go back to the menu, it will take a while for it to show up again. I've never had the red X constantly stay on.

Last edited by brienj, May 4, 2016
    FusionGamer likes this.
  6. FusionGamer
    OP

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    This morning the red "X" appeared. However, it's now gone but I cannot access the eShop.

7. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    The x isn't ever-present. It only shows up when the console performs an update check and the check fails. In other words, it doesn't matter if you don't see it all the time.

FusionGamer likes this.
  8. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    it doesnt allways show the red x i pressume its just when its checking for an update this could be for the system or game update (mario maker ,splatoon ect.)i had the red x and updated all my games recconected tubehax and then it had gone

FusionGamer likes this.
  9. FusionGamer
    OP

Jul 12, 2014
    United States
    Oh, thanks for the information! This is the first time Mr. X has disappeared on me, and so naturally I grew concerned.