Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A collection of canned stuff. To eat. Well, some people eat it.

mex_grocer.jpg

QUOTE said:
Corn 'shrooms (huitlacoche or cuitlachoe) are the product of a corn disease, caused by a plant parasite that attacks crops. The pathogen causes kernels to swell as much as 10 times in size, distort, and darken in color as they bloat with spores from the infectious fungus.

Although most U.S. farmers consider the infestation (affectionately known as "corn smut") an aggravation that destroys all tainted crops, huitlacoche is considered a delicacy in Mexico. The swelled kernels are known as "Mexican truffles," because of the bulbous mushroom-like knobs that form as the corn mutates. Fans of the mushroom maize say the exotic fare has an earthy, sweet-smoky flavor -- and interest in the treat is catching on.

surstroemming2.jpg

QUOTE said:
To prepare this traditional Swedish meal, herring from the Baltic Sea are gutted and tinned in brine, then stored somewhere (preferably warm) for several months. Its pungent aroma makes dining alfresco an absolute must. Locals recommend opening the can under water whenever possible to contain the tantalizing odor of rotten egg, rancid butter and vinegar that results from the fermentation process.

Eels_1378.jpg

QUOTE said:
Caught from the murky depths of the Thames River estuary, boiled with salt and pimentos, set in gelatin and then served with a dash of chili vinegar, each bite is a gooey challenge for the average palate. The traditional dish originated in London's East End and is rumored to date back to a culinary dark age before its better-known (and more-appetizing) cousin, fish 'n' chips, had been created.

comp1.jpg

QUOTELiterally meaning pupa or chrysalis, beondegi are popular Korean street snacks, often dished out by the cupful to eager passers-by. The stewed and seasoned silkworm treats come highly recommended as bar bites.

jars_comp.jpg

A popular Filipino street snack, balut is a boiled three-week-old fertilized duck egg, eaten straight out of the shell.

A well-aged balut lacks feathers, beak and claws (all the tasty bits), and instead provides a palatable rich embryonic broth, the creamy yolk (and of course, the fetus), sure to satisfy even the most ambitious appetite.

More canned... goods..., including bird's nest soup, canned whole chicken, reindeer paté ("arctic delicacy, made from farm-raised relative of Rudolf") and, of course, canned haggis: here.

And, as an afterthought: Canned insects!
Scorpions, crickets, cricket eggs, and of course, BBQ flavoured bamboo worms.

Inna can.

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've actually tried beondegi when I went to Korea 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't know what I was eating at the time and when I was told.. well, all hell broke loose*

*read: I screamed like a little girl and spat it out

dakeyras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That swedish herring stuff is actually not too bad. I don't remember it smelling that bad though, maybe I didn't keep it around lying in the sun long enough.

Canned haggis kind of depends on the brand. Some are just like meatloaf, others keep all the interesting bits in one part..which is less..erm..edible. When I lived in England for a while I've seen people eat that jellified eel stuff.....for breakfast...yeeeeaaah.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come on guys, you just need to get rid of the mental aspect that its nasty and give it a try.

Just kidding, just reading this article made me sick.

S

scubersteve

veho said:
comp1.jpg

QUOTE said:
Literally meaning pupa or chrysalis, beondegi are popular Korean street snacks, often dished out by the cupful to eager passers-by. The stewed and seasoned silkworm treats come highly recommended as bar bites.
I've had this before.
It's only twice as bad as you think it would be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo