Hardware Can usb hubs cause I/O error?

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm unsure if it's the hub causing my I/O errors I have a couple of them plugged in but even when I plug in a DVD writer on my PCs usb headers I'm getting I/O errors, this says to usb dongle didn't work at all so maybe it's a bios thing or I'm over loading it with too many usb connections? Oddly my dual bay HDD cloner works just fine. I don't know if it's because I'm on windows 11 preview build either?

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be unrelated, but using many USB-Hubs over the years..a lot of shit just doesn't work with them. For example, iPads and iPhones don't work (using Altstore) when plugged into my hubs. This is for several different brands.

Using Windows 11 may cause potential issues however, since it's not final release.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You can overload USB controllers, yes, especially if you use a lot of USB 3.0 devices on USB 2.0 hubs, since those 3.0 devices may be expecting more bandwidth than the older gen can provide. This is mostly a common problem with VR headsets with external sensors (which can eat up to like 80% of a USB 3.0 controllers bandwidth), but can happen with other devices too.

Whether that's the case here, it's tough to say without knowing quite how much you have connected to USB ports/the quality of the hub.

Some hubs are just cheap trash and have issues with some devices, I had an old USB 2 hub thing that hated most external drive, whether it was a HDD or a disc drive or a flash drive, but worked fine with controllers and headsets and stuff.

Best way to check would be to unplug the hub and try it on the motherboards USB ports, maybe unplug most stuff beyond a keyboard and mouse, and see if the problem still occurs. If so, probably bad peripherals then and not the hub.

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I unplugged some of my drives and managed to get the DVD writer Working but this cable still is unable to read a standard hdd I know is working must have gotten a bad one sent to me other reviews are listing it's working fine. My main goal was attempting to use xboxhdm to usb with it which it's failing at more then likely a win11 compatibility issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7WDZG...abc_MFQM84K9ZXJP4SS0F3E2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by K3Nv2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...