Can this system run KOTOR?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Blaze163, Sep 4, 2011.

Sep 4, 2011

Can this system run KOTOR? by Blaze163 at 9:57 PM (1,768 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho!

I'm looking to enhance my netbook's gaming repertoire and I've always wanted to play the original Knights of the Old Republic. I've got myself a USB DVD drive so I now have the ability to go out and buy KOTOR if I can't find a decent download/no cd crack. However, I'm a total dunce when it comes to system specs. And having tried the 'Can You Run It?' website and learning that it no longer caters for the original game, only the sequel 'The Sith Lords', which I cannot run according to the site, I need help determining whether attempting to acquire the game would be a waste of my time or not. Simply put, can these specs handle the game or not?

E-Machines N270
    Intel Atom 1.6GHz (2 CPU's)
    1GB RAM
    Windows XP
    DirectX 9.0c

Not sure how to find info on my graphics card, but under 'Display Devices' on my Device Manager screen it says 'Mobile Intel 945 chipset'. Twice, for some reason.

Will that be enough? The game's pretty old. So far I've been able to run Warcraft 3, Red Alert 2, etc. But when I tried to run a game called Tortuga, it would load but during the loading screen after selecting my mission it would crash and give me an error message. So...will KOTOR work? I've never played it but it looks like my sort of thing, and it's a Bioware game so it must by default be incredible. I've never encountered a bad Bioware game, they all rock. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Diablo. They're all great.

Sorry to be such a techno-newb but I really don't know how these machines work. I put the disk in the machine and pray for the best most of the time. Don't have the foggiest how they actually do anything.

2. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Use Can You Run It. It's a online site that tells you whether or not you're computer can run it.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Run dxdiag.exe and it should bring up the DirectX Diagnostic tool and it'll have all your system info on it.

For reference, here's the requirements for KOTOR:

Processor: Intel Pentium 3 1Ghz or AMD Athlon 1GHz
    Memory: 256 RAM
    Graphics: 32 MB with Hardware T&L
    DirectX®: Directx 9.0b or better
    Hard Drive: 3.5 GB
    Sound: Directx 9.0b compatible

Also, for some reason, I tried running this on my PC (it has the specs for it, I thought) but it runs terribly slow. I could never find a solution for it here.

4. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    As I mentioned in my initial post, the site no longer lists the original game, only the sequel. I've already checked it out. I know I cannot run the sequel but can I run the original? As the site cannot tell me I figured I'd ask here.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Spec-wise, it requires a 1Ghz Pentium III CPU and openGL 1.4 capable graphics to run. I think your netbook may be able to run it, but I'm not sure because I've never played the first game so I don't know on what level the graphics are.

It definitely can't play KoTOR 2.

6. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Oh it did? Sorry didn't see that.

But yes your computer can run it.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It does, I just ran it for my computer myself. Just type in Knights of the Old Republic.

8. qaz00

Newcomer qaz00 ORG 0x0

United Kingdom
    No, your computer cannot run it. My netbook has similar specs to yours and it doesn't run. It needs Hardware T&L which your netbook (and mine for that matter) graphics (Intel Integrated Graphics GMA 945) don't have.
    Also you don't have 2 CPUs or even 2 Cores. You have 2 Threads as the Atom N270 is HyperThreaded.

9. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    You're quite correct, I found it on the Can You Run It site (strange how it never showed up before, but whatever) and the only point I fail on is indeed Hardware T+L. Everything else is good to go. Is there no way around this issue, or will the game flat out not work without it?

10. qaz00

Newcomer qaz00 ORG 0x0

United Kingdom
    You can use a T&L emulator (like 3D Analyse http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/index.php) but I couldn't get it to work on my MSI Wind (the one listed down in my sig).

11. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Link is broken [​IMG]

12. qaz00

Newcomer qaz00 ORG 0x0

United Kingdom
    Oops sorry.
    http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/index.php
    Fixed.

13. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Downloaded and installed. Will give it a try if I can find a decent download. Seems pointless wasting money on the game if I can't be sure it'll work. To the torrent sites.

14. qaz00

Newcomer qaz00 ORG 0x0

United Kingdom
    I never got my legal copy of KOTOR working on my Wind with 3D Analyse (possibly my fault), but I got other "H/W T&L Required" games working.