Can my PSU power this build?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by DarkFlare69, Oct 2, 2015.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Don't say "Get a new PSU." If it can't, then recommend me a good GPU for $120 shipped that can be supported.

430 watt PSU
    A10-5800K (Overclocked to 4.2GHz)
    MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2
    8GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz
    1TB Toshiba HDD
    R9 270 (Item in question)

So, will my PC be able to run smoothly with all the above components? I put it into PCPartPicker and it says it consumes about 358 watts.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Hard to say. AMD recommends a 500 Watt power supply with at least a steady 34 amp 12V+ power line, the connector I'm seeing in the model I'm looking up is a 2x 6-pin. I would go for a slightly better power supply than yours, 430 seems low to me, especially if you want to overclock. Then again, you're using an A10, which is relatively low-key compared to more robust CPU's.

EDIT: My bad, for some reason I was looking up the R9 270X. I'm blind, don't mind me.

3. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Overclocking isn't necessary if it is the difference between being able to have the GPU and not.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I would honestly upgrade the PSU since the recommended spec is 500W, just to be on the safe side. I'd also pick one with a dedicated 12V+ line with amperage at least meeting the requirements, mostly out of stability concerns. PSU's like this are not hard to find, I can't really recommend a specific model though - just get what's available at the nearest store. I personally use a 520W Qoltec because it was affordable.

EDIT: My bad, for some reason I was looking up the R9 270X. I'm blind, don't mind me.

5. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    I'm poor. If i spend the $30 or whatever on a new PSU, only $90 for the GPU and then at that low of a price i likely won't even need a new PSU.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Can you tell me more about that PSU? Can I look it up somewhere? Seeing that everything else is low-key in the build, it just might be fine. Recommended specs for that kind of GPU usually take a stronger CPU into consideration, so they're not that reliable - if the amperage is fine, it just might cut it. Namely I'm looking for the available connectors and the power lines.

7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Did you try PCPartPicker? You make a build on what you want to buy, and it can list whether the parts are compatible with each other.

Edit: sorry, didn't read the OP entirely. I trust PCPartPicker.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If it's a low-power R9 270 then you should be fine (I'm seeing a GIGABYTE one that runs on just 150 Watts, which sounds ideal), if it's not, you might run into some trouble - everything depends on the specs of the particular card and the specs of the particular PSU. Just the GPU's name won't tell us much, we need more detailed information. That being said, if PCPartsPicker says it should be fine then it probably will be - keep the amperage of the power line in mind though, as PCPartsPicker doesn't seem to do so.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Just to add, if the PSU is one that has no brand and typically comes free with the case, then it may not even reliably output 430W and could be a fire hazard at over 80% load.

On the other hand, if it is better than all the non-branded PSUs I've seen so far, then it should be ok running that 270.

If possible, double check the connectors of the PSU to make sure it has enough for the graphics card.

10. hisagishi

hisagishi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2013
    United States
    We need the exact model number of the PSU in question to be able to know if its sufficient.

Your total budget is 120, right?

I refuse to recommend a 30 dollar PSU. You might be able to get a CX500 for that cheap on a newegg sale or something but thats the lowest quality I could recommend.

DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR PSU. No ifs ands or buts, low end PSUs can and will take your entire build with them and more often than not do not put out anywhere near the rated capacity.

TotalInsanity4 and Originality like this.