Misc Can I change NNID?

jonnytron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Just a question. What I want to do is change my NNID without losing games etc. I'd much prefer if you could change the username but oh well.

I've seen that a few NNID files can be injected and dumped with decrypt9 but was wondering if I could achieve this?

I am on the current firmware using Luma + A9LH for context.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you backup "nnidsave" in decrypt9 (which is just a conveniently renamed act driver's save from ctrnand), open it with a hex editor, blank it out (replace contents with FF), and reinstall - you will indeed be logged out of the account (as far as the console knows - the servers obviously won't) without losing anything else!

Games will stay even after logging in with another account, since the tickets are either signed for all consoles or for yours - the nnid is never involved in software licensing as seen by your console (when you do a system transfer, directly or by asking nintendo to let you login from a different console, the ticket regeneration all happens server-side)
Plus, with a modded console you can make perfectly legal backups of your digital games anyway!
Of course, having periodical save backups too is never a bad idea and is even quite automated with the latest cia version of JKSV!

DLC will likely stay too if you login to a new account due to how the eShop licensing check implements it

Changing username? Try asking Nintendo, they're the only ones who can and may or may not... just like for manual system transfers which they have no problem doing as long as they believe you're doing it in good faith...

Trophies
XP
Hi,

Just a question. What I want to do is change my NNID without losing games etc. I'd much prefer if you could change the username but oh well.

I've seen that a few NNID files can be injected and dumped with decrypt9 but was wondering if I could achieve this?

I am on the current firmware using Luma + A9LH for context.
Go on 3ds.guide in the troubleshooting tab, follow that and create a new one in system settings.

jonnytron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks ryycardo, I think I'll go that way around it. I was just trying to avoid having to format
I'd be sure to backup though.

Go on 3ds.guide in the troubleshooting tab, follow that and create a new one in system settings.

The method with godmode9? That looks a lot easier doing the whole thing on the ds. The only thing that confuses me is how it works? Why does renaming the file as such reset NNID user data? Just interested as with zeroing the nnidsave.bin it's clear (that your returning it to stock).

Either way thanks for your help guys and gals

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you will indeed be logged out of the account (as far as the console knows - the servers obviously won't)

So could you see such action causing me trouble server side?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So could you see such action causing me trouble server side?
It will look (mostly) as if you formatted and logged into a new account - "mostly" because the server never sees the logout request (that's why formatting requires online if you have a nnid)

Quite a few (mostly banned) people did this without trouble for the reputation of the console or the new account!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why does renaming the file as such reset NNID user data?
"Renaming" does nothing (in fact, as I implied in my first answer, it's not called nnidsave.bin in the first place - decrypt9 just copies the file from/to the same path under ctrnand:/data/... you can get to with godmode9)
The file is a packed and encrypted save archive (no differently from flashcard .sav or the ones inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder), by emptying it we cause it to be considered invalid and recreated without errors (like on a never used physical game), and of course the default is "no account"

N1N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be sure to create no more than 12 NNIDs (12 is the limit on 3DS), as you will be at huge risk of a ban that affects the deviceID and prevents you from accessing Nintendo Network services if you do.

fireframe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Be sure to keep a backup of your original nnidsave somewhere in case you ever want to log back in to your old NNID.
Hey, just asking..
So, if I backed up content in SYSNAND CTRNAND -> data -> (32 Character ID) -> sysdata -> 00010038
I can go back to old NNID after I deleted it and create a new one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s