Can anyone help me with IPS patching?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by raptir, Apr 12, 2010.

Apr 12, 2010
  1. raptir
    OP

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, I'm trying to play Shin Megami Tensei in english. I have the ROM and the IPS. I put them both in my snes9x directory and boot it up... and it doesn't work. It loads, but crashes as soon as any text should be displaying. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

2. supersonic5000

Member supersonic5000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Patch the rom on your computer using LIPS. It will ask you for the rom and the ips patch and make a patched rom.

3. raptir
    OP

United States
    When I do that, I get a "bad checksum" and "corrupt ROM" and it won't load at all.

Any idea as to what I might be doing wrong? I thought snes9x supported IPS patching on the fly, and it's clearly recognized the IPS file since something happens. I'm using it on the v1.0 of the ROM, as it says in the instructions.

4. Ivoire

Newcomer Ivoire Advanced Member

United States
  5. raptir
    OP

United States
    I tried IPSWin before, no dice. It seems like a straightforward process, I don't see how I could mess it up, but it's not working. I found a prepatched ROM that I've been using, but there are a couple patches I'd like to be able to apply myself (for ROM hacks instead of just translation patches).

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    depending on what the hack is doing you might not be able to apply two patches to the same rom.

always patch a clean rom. contact the hacker and find out if the patch can be applied to a pre-patched rom. if the file is IPS use Lunar IPS. small, simple, and works.

http://www.romhacking.net/utils/240/

-another world

7. raptir
    OP

United States
    I was using a clean japanese ROM and just trying to apply the language patch.